Next Scotland Manager

I've always thought being an International manager would be fairly simple ! it's a part time job and you select the players that are on form for their clubs! pick the players that are doing their job in each position! if they are not better than the opponents then so be it!.

I think just like with us, the Scottish national team needs someone progressive with forward thinking ideas. Walter isn't the ideal match for that. However, like us, with a complete lack of competent candidates he's head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. Regardless, Walter bowed out his managerial career with us in 10/11 playing free flowing football and romping to the title. I don't know what he ever saw in Ally as a coach, but he should bow out on a high note. I was never the greatest fan of his ideology, but he retired from football a winner and his time has passed.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

50 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I've always thought being an International manager would be fairly simple ! it's a part time job and you select the players that are on form for their clubs! pick the players that are doing their job in each position! if they are not better than the opponents then so be it!.

Works if you're managing Argentina or Germany perhaps. When you're trying to take a team of English championship and SPL players to a big tournament there's more complexity. 

We need to take the approach of Iceland, Belgium etc and look at the bigger picture. I.E. we have a pish group of players, not a single one of them are genuine quality and we don't have a top manager either. Focus on the kids, coaching, the basic infrastructure. Maybe in 5-10 years we can muster together a team that isn't woeful. 

Taxi for McRae

The SFA is in need of a radical overhaul – starting with the bungling blazers right at the top, says Kris Boyd

What a mess Alan McRae has made of things. He, and his sidekick Rod Petrie, should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves

Comment
By Kris Boyd

IF I owned the local corner shop I wouldn’t waltz into Tesco and start telling them how to sell fruit and veg.

Likewise, if I owned a small car lot I wouldn’t barge into Bentley and point out how to punt motors.

So why then do we have someone like Alan McRae calling the shots in Scottish football?

What a mess the Honorary President of Cove Rangers has made of things. He, and his sidekick Rod Petrie, should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

No chief executive, no national manager and no main sponsor.

It is utterly embarrassing. A national disgrace.

Scottish football, and the SFA in particular, is in need of a radical overhaul — starting with the bungling blazers right at the top.

Getting rid of Gordon Strachan in the first place was a mistake in my book.

But to do it without having a ready-made replacement lined up is nothing less than gross mismanagement.

I was surprised to hear Walter Smith was willing to hear what the SFA had to say.

I wasn’t in the least bit surprised to hear he no longer wished to be considered for the role — fed up with the delay and dithering of McRae and his cohorts.

Those tasked with finding a sponsor, a chief executive and a manager four months after Strachan was emptied are not fit for purpose.

They cannot deal with big personalities, big names and egos.

They shouldn’t be anywhere near the job. But so long as they get to take their pals to all the big games, wining and dining them, shoving prawn sandwiches down their throats, nothing will change for the better.

Having been sold down the river by Michael O’Neill, the only course of action for Stewart Regan was to resign. He did so — merely adding to the woes of McRae and Petrie.

As much as it pains me to say it, these guys must first appoint a CEO before they can even consider a new manager.

What happens, for example, if they appoint a new boss and — when the new chief executive follows — there is an immediate clash of personalities?

I want to know the identity of the new manager like every other Scotland fan, but we must first find Regan’s successor.

Smith telling them to shove it should speed up that particular process. Clearly, O’Neill was the man they wanted but, after he pulled their pants down, moving for someone like my old Rangers boss should have been a no-brainer.

The fact he was willing to talk to them should have seen him invited to Hampden during the course of the same conversation.

But this is the SFA we’re dealing with and nothing is as straightforward as that.

Instead they let Smith stew for a week before the man himself informed them he no longer wished to be considered.

It’s another huge slap in the face for the beaks.

I saw plenty of people opposed to Walter coming back.

The same ones who don’t want Alex McLeish near the job either.

But ask yourself this. Why did they leave the Scotland job first time around? It was because they had been successful.

They had improved performances, driven up standards and delivered results on the park — where it matters most.

Walter would never have returned to Rangers in 2007 had he failed in the Scotland job.

Similarly Big Eck would never had his move to Birmingham had he flopped as national boss.

To overlook someone like Walter would have been a dereliction of duty. They at least got the part about making contact with him right.

But given his incredible achievements in the game, why the hell should Smith hang about waiting for the follow-up phone call that might never come?

Do the SFA think that, at the age of 70, Smith has nothing better to do than sit by the phone and wait for their call?

It showed a complete lack of respect, perfectly in keeping with the mob in charge at Hampden.

Smith seemed like the ideal choice. He commands the respect of the players,  media and the majority of fans.

Yet somehow the SFA have managed to b***s this up too.

McLeish would seem to be the last man standing now but I suspect he too will have deep reservations about the role.

And why are the SFA only targeting men out of work?

A comprehensive list should have been drawn up long before they ditched Gordon Strachan.

Instead they put all their eggs in the Michael O’Neill basket.

The whole process has been one major disaster after the next and in any other walk of life those responsible would pay with their jobs.

But McRae and Petrie are never going to give up their cushy number with the SFA.

Not when they can glad-hand their way across the globe. Not when they have a free ticket for every big game going and not when they can show off in front of their pals in their executive lounges.

No harm to the Highland League — or indeed any club in the lower echelons of Scottish football.

But guys whose teams play in front of two men and a dog at weekends shouldn’t be charged with making the kind of decisions that will impact on our game for years to come.

Sadly right now that is the case in Scottish football.

It wouldn’t, and doesn’t, happen anywhere else in the world.

But then nowhere else in the world could you stumble across an organisation so dysfunctional as the Scottish Football Association.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2210651/sfa-radical-overhaul-alan-mcrae-walter-smith-alex-mcleish-kris-boyd/