Next Scotland Manager

1 hour ago, ian1964 said:

I wonder if the tranny army will Booooooooooo big Eck? keeping up with the booing of Rangers players!

It will be interesting to see how the reaction of Rangers affiliated team members is. It has always been explained away as “it’s an excellent rival of the team’s stadium that Scotland are playing” or “he’s got a bad reputation” but if we get a number of players in the squad, then surely the press will finally have to admit it is just because they are Rangers players.

Talk about tables turning and the pot calling the kettle black,now that we no longer have the green eyed dwarf and his green skinned cohorts in charge O'Rourke spouts off before knowing of any other appointee to the Scotland job.

Wait to see the hysterics when selector Broonie gets dropped.

Michael Stewart 'angry' at SFA's handling of manager appointment

Michael Stewart says he has "never been as angry" as he feels about the Scottish FA's approach to appointing Alex McLeish as Scotland manager.

Stewart, who won four Scotland caps, says it is "unacceptable" the decision was made with no chief executive in place following Stewart Regan's exit.

"The process has been an absolute disgrace, a disaster, and that needs to be looked at," said Stewart.

"How on earth have we ended up in this position, it is unacceptable."

McLeish was appointed as Scotland manager four months after Gordon Strachan was sacked following the failure to qualify for this summer's World Cup.

It is McLeish's second spell as the international boss, after he left in 2007 following a short spell where he won seven games out of 10.

Current Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neil had been the frontrunner for the post, but turned down the job after discussions with Regan, who then left his post as chief executive.

Former Hearts and Hibernian player Stewart told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound: "For the president to come out and introduce the new manager as a mate for years, and having been the chairman of his testimonial committee, is just staggering.

"The lack of awareness in that organisation is beyond belief and I've never been so angry, and it's not Alex McLeish because I hope that he goes on and does a good job. Where is the strategic planning?

"They've now effectively said that the chief executive role is almost immaterial because they've made the big call without them.

"Let's be honest, we all hear the chat, we're all in the industry. And the talk is that we know there's a split board at the SFA. The chat is that Rod Petrie and Alan McRae have got their man, and in return the other faction are going to be allowed to get the chief executive. That's not for the betterment of Scottish football. That is politicking. And it is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned."

His comments were echoed by former Scotland defender Willie Miller, who described it as a "farce".

Miller said: "The SFA have turned a relatively simple process into a saga.

"I can't understand how we went after a manager [Michael O'Neil] and offered him less than he was on, and then we're surprised that it didn't work out.

"We were told before Stewart Regan left that there were applicants. We haven't heard any names. I had a chuckle when I heard it was Walter Smith or Alex McLeish. Nothing to do with their qualities, but because they're ex-Scotland managers, and if you threw Gordon Strachan's name into that list then he probably had more right to be kept back on as manager because he didn't leave, the other two left for club jobs. It's just a total farce."

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes said it was a "real opportunity" for McLeish.

He said: "Great we've made a decision. Personally I thought they should have waited for a chief executive to come in and get that done but there was obviously a lot of heat and spotlight on the SFA to appoint someone.

"Alex has been round the course, and has that experience. It's a real opportunity for him and hopefully the country to try and build on the good work that has been done in the last 18 months or so."

And Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon, who had been tipped for the job, said McLeish was "the outstanding candidate".

"It's a strong character with bags of experience and he's been in the job before, he's had success in England and Scotland," said Lennon.

"He's the outstanding candidate. I know people talked about myself and [Kilmarnock manager] Steve Clarke but international football is completely different from club football.

"I just worry if they were too hasty in letting Gordon go because progress was being made."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43098581

What is worse ?

Pundits (eg.Michael Stewart) thinking their opinion is valuable and matters to the wider world

or

The media, for starting to heavily encourage and push controversial pundit clickbait (eg.Chris Sutton)

55 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Michael Stewart 'angry' at SFA's handling of manager appointment

Michael Stewart says he has "never been as angry" as he feels about the Scottish FA's approach to appointing Alex McLeish as Scotland manager.

Stewart, who won four Scotland caps, says it is "unacceptable" the decision was made with no chief executive in place following Stewart Regan's exit.

"The process has been an absolute disgrace, a disaster, and that needs to be looked at," said Stewart.

"How on earth have we ended up in this position, it is unacceptable."

McLeish was appointed as Scotland manager four months after Gordon Strachan was sacked following the failure to qualify for this summer's World Cup.

It is McLeish's second spell as the international boss, after he left in 2007 following a short spell where he won seven games out of 10.

Current Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neil had been the frontrunner for the post, but turned down the job after discussions with Regan, who then left his post as chief executive.

Former Hearts and Hibernian player Stewart told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound: "For the president to come out and introduce the new manager as a mate for years, and having been the chairman of his testimonial committee, is just staggering.

"The lack of awareness in that organisation is beyond belief and I've never been so angry, and it's not Alex McLeish because I hope that he goes on and does a good job. Where is the strategic planning?

"They've now effectively said that the chief executive role is almost immaterial because they've made the big call without them.

"Let's be honest, we all hear the chat, we're all in the industry. And the talk is that we know there's a split board at the SFA. The chat is that Rod Petrie and Alan McRae have got their man, and in return the other faction are going to be allowed to get the chief executive. That's not for the betterment of Scottish football. That is politicking. And it is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned."

His comments were echoed by former Scotland defender Willie Miller, who described it as a "farce".

Miller said: "The SFA have turned a relatively simple process into a saga.

"I can't understand how we went after a manager [Michael O'Neil] and offered him less than he was on, and then we're surprised that it didn't work out.

"We were told before Stewart Regan left that there were applicants. We haven't heard any names. I had a chuckle when I heard it was Walter Smith or Alex McLeish. Nothing to do with their qualities, but because they're ex-Scotland managers, and if you threw Gordon Strachan's name into that list then he probably had more right to be kept back on as manager because he didn't leave, the other two left for club jobs. It's just a total farce."

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes said it was a "real opportunity" for McLeish.

He said: "Great we've made a decision. Personally I thought they should have waited for a chief executive to come in and get that done but there was obviously a lot of heat and spotlight on the SFA to appoint someone.

"Alex has been round the course, and has that experience. It's a real opportunity for him and hopefully the country to try and build on the good work that has been done in the last 18 months or so."

And Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon, who had been tipped for the job, said McLeish was "the outstanding candidate".

"It's a strong character with bags of experience and he's been in the job before, he's had success in England and Scotland," said Lennon.

"He's the outstanding candidate. I know people talked about myself and [Kilmarnock manager] Steve Clarke but international football is completely different from club football.

"I just worry if they were too hasty in letting Gordon go because progress was being made."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43098581

During Big Eck's tenure as Rangers manager, downsizing was continuous. Pre-season tours were held in Germany and Austria. A number of players were invited on to these ten day tours to see how they performed and some were offered contracts by the club. Michael Stewart was such a trialist and I remember he provided a number of interviews looking forward to picking up his career at Rangers. Big Eck decided NOT to offer Stewart a contract. 

Stewart was most angry at that point, he let it be known the exercise was a waste of his time. We have learned that Michael does not like to be bettered and he holds grudges. However, Michael should be used to both personal and career disappointments. His football aspirations died at Hibs after accusations he led a player revolt. His political aspirations died at Edinburgh South, he lost out on SNP selection to Michelle Thompson(she was a success), and his career as a pundit will crumble too as Stuart Cosgrove continues to champion him as the best pundit out there.

You sound bitter Michael, are you bitter?

Stewart seems to be attempting some kind of vengeance attack on McLeish.

Unfortunately, while this has taken years, and his grievance is now mature, vintage, even, airing it surely provides him little satisfaction, and he must have the taste of the bitterest of gall in his mouth.

McLeish, after all, is now happily ensconced in the Manger's Office at Hampden, and, unlike Stewart,  is, let's be honest, a serious figure in Scottish fitba' again.

Michael? ....well, he is exposing himself as among the most bilious, begrudging, smallest minded, emptiest vessels out there. 

If only he knew that in matters of retribution, Avon trumps Doon, and that, although nursing your wrath to keep it warm can be effective, revenge is a dish best tasted.......cold.

Edited by Uilleam