[FT] Partick Thistle 0 - 2 Rangers (Windass 39; Tavernier 59)

59 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Haha - looks like both Pete and I had knocked up something late but I managed to get mine posted first... :D

You sabotaged my posting account:D.

I actually wrote it last night but wanted to post it at 8am. Then I lost the whole post and had to start again. Hmm what did you say about checking the preview List.:whistle::roflmao:

2 minutes ago, Barebear said:

How's the weather in Glasgow? I heard from family it has been snowing? Is the game safe? I need to set an early alarm. It will be a 6:45am kick off here. I could get another hour in bed if the game is off. 

It's been snowing today in Scotland but it's not too bad so I'd be very surprised if the game was called off.

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

Agree with much of that mate but I'd still like to see two proper strikers deployed from the start of a game.

As much as we do have further attacking options in Windass, Murphy and Candeias, there's no doubt in my mind that had one of the chances that fell to the first two in the opening half-hour had fell to Cummings, he'd have scored.

I've nothing against a 4-2-3-1 per se; in fact I think it's our best formation, but I do think we're predictable within it sometimes as well as laboured at times also.  The diamond might allow us to break lines quicker and go direct more often when teams - such as Hibs did the other day - press us high.

I'd much prefer having Jack or McCrorie at the bottom tip (with Goss on the left) but needs must for now so the latter can sit deep and direct the play whilst Holt and Docherty both have the engine to get up and down the park.

Notwithstanding the point I made about the midfield being the problem, I agree we need to change the midfield or change the system.  Since we can't change the players (not until the injury situation improves), we have to adapt to a system that offers more attacking options and better defensive cover.  The diamond is proven so I think we might go with that, but I'm really not bothered, as long as we do make a change.

I think going with 2 up top would be worth a shot, even just to mix up the tactics a wee bit & not become too predictable.

I would also include Windass sitting just behind the 2 strikers - he has generally done well in a central position.  I've not see anything from Murphy to suggest that he's be better in that role than Windass.

For me, the key thing is to get started at a high, attacking tempo - put Thistle under pressure from the 1st whistle.