Graeme Murty looks back on the defeat to Celtic.

I think most of us are pretty much on the same page here (surprisingly).

Theres no question Murty has improved the team.  We play good football, the players are happy, and we are scoring goals for fun (even against 'them').  His signings (or Allen's) have been really good so far too.

As we all know, the success of a Rangers manager depends on winning things, and mainly the league.  Until he beats them there will always be doubts about him being the right man.  The problem is (and Ian said it too) is who would we replace him with, even if we didn't think he was right?  There isn't a single person I would pick to take a risk with.  I too was delighted that McInnes didn't accept our offer because good football is just as important to me as winning, and there is no way we were getting that with him.

Murty has delivered good football and wins.  If we beat them in the semi, the job is his for sure.  If we don't, unless someone can come up with a strong alternative, I'd be inclined to continue to support Murty through his growth into the role, and the inevitable mistakes that comes with that.  He has an enormous challenge now though.  He has to demonstrate that he has built a winning mentality into the team.  If they have that, we will come out and beat Killie.

In many ways, the result against Killie should be a more important indicator of his performance (and ability to motivate and install belief) as a manager because that is some thing he has control over.  He has no control over the quality of that other lot and the money they spend.

With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been great if we had stuck with Murty last year.  With two transfer windows under his belt, can you imagine how good we'd be now?  I have no doubt we'd have won this league this year.  The very fact that it was a possibility shows what a good job he's done.

Next year however will now be even harder than this year.  We had the opportunity to catch them cold because they thought they were so far ahead of us last summer (and they were).  I expect them to spend money though this summer because for all their public statements they know we are back and ready to challenge them.  They can't afford to allow us to do that so the biscuit tin will be raided no doubt.  That makes Murty's job doubly difficult, but the pressure isn't just on him.  It's on Allen, the players and perhaps most importantly the board to continue supplying the resources he needs.

I certainly would keep Murty,his only failing to me is substitutions which hopefully Jimmy Nichol will advise him on.

There is no-one that springs to mind that we could approach,look at previous spouted names,McInnes,Wright,Moyes? etc.and how s**t their teams are performing.

As said given the return of the absentees we will have a competitive squad which fills me with hope.

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Tough one! what any off us think won't matter.

If you step back from the result against the scum we have improved big time, Murty seems to also be getting the best out of the players who were already here , he has also had a good January transfer window and has us playing the kind of football we all want to see he has also had a good January transfer window.

He is learning as well. I am glad we never got McInnes from the sheep,£1m + was what was spoken about to get him from the sheep. 

I can't think of any manager I would want to take the Rangers job? but then I don't watch much football other than Rangers! I don't see many names flying about either.

Should he get the job full time? I personally think he is doing well, he has a good relationship with the players & DOF, will a new manager have the same? if we win the Scottish cup and finish the league in a comfortable 2nd place he might get it? if we don't win the cup I am not sure?.

This, mostly. We look like a team that's being coached properly and, for the most part, more than the sum of its parts. Whether he should get it depends slightly on the alternatives available but, in the absence of Dave King learning to keech diamonds, we're looking at steady progress rather than overhaul and he seems like he might well-suited to that. 

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg

Should we REALLY be basing Murty's future on whether he beats Ceptic this season or not???  His record against them ain't that bad - played 3, lost 1, drawn 2.

What happens if we get A.N Other big name manager/coach in next season, and gets beat in the 1st OF game of the season - sack him??

I think it is clear to everyone that what Murty (& Allen) have achieved so far is pretty damned good....the team are playing considerable better than they have for a while, we are winning games and we're causing the opposition all sorts of problems.  It's also highly likely that we will finish in 2nd this season, with not a massive gap between us & them.

Look at the teams performances in the last 2 OF games....the last one, we were the better team overall & they were lucky to get a draw.  The last one, we gave them a right good game, and got in front of them twice, with several excellent chances to increase our goal tally.

IF Murty is to be offered the job, I wouldn't offer it on a long term basis - annual rolling deal would be ideal.

By Charlie Phillips | Guest Contributor

The opinion piece on this website today regarding Graeme Murty’s position next season raised some interesting points. Whilst I agreed with a lot of the points being made I wholeheartedly disagree with the premise. Under no circumstances can Murty be our manager when we start our European campaign.

bettehttps://www.rangersobserver.com/views/2018/3/14/rangers-require-a-better-and-more-experienced-manager-than-murtyr and more experienced manager than Murty

We have to be able to beat Celtc, otherwise we're just accepting 2nd best.  

If Murty doesn't beat them in the next two fixtures, we should get someone else in.  That'd be five games without a win against them.  I think he maybe blew his best chance on Sunday but time will tell...

Edited by Gonzo79

The Rangers Observer articles are always entertaining to read, but very often a little erratic in their assessments or conclusions.  I sometimes wonder if they write them to attract attention (in a similar fashion to the mainstream media).  This one is again interesting to read but full of holes.

It ciriticises those who think he should get the job if he has a semi final win because it's short term thinking.  It then goes on to say that he dithered to make changes in the old firm game so we need a more experienced manager.  Make of that what you will.

It suggests that we should take the money we're spending on wages for Hodson, Pena, MOH, Herrera, Nico and Alves and spend it on a manager?  Really?!?  Wouldn't we be better spending it on better players?

It also suggests that Murty has no first team managerial experience.  He does of course, but let's assume the writer means "much first team managerial experience".  There are hundreds of managers out there with plenty of managerial experience but I wouldn't want many (or any I can think of) of them near our club.  Experience doesn't equal success.  Learning from experience can be a help though.

I'm not suggesting Murty is the man for the job.  I've already said he has a lot to prove, but so would any manager coming in to the role.  He has made mistakes, as has every other manager.  He has however created an exciting style of play, galvanised a dressing room, and put together some good results.  Not many managers can do that, and if they do they're snapped up by richer clubs.

Unless someone can point me in the direction of a better and less risky option, I'd stick with Murty.  He's grown into the role.  And as for this article from TRO, if Rangers had beat them at the weekend it wouldn't have been written, so if you are looking for an example of short term thinking, that is it.

I don't think we can make up our mind on Murty until the end of the season.

If our general form, results and performances stay roughly in line with the last couple of months then he has to be in contention - especially if he can beat Celtic at Hampden.

If not and, for example, we fail to secure 2nd place then I'm not sure he can be given the job.