Declan John Called Into Wales Squad

2 hours ago, StuGers said:

I think, strangely, in modern day football it is becoming more apparent that, for the higher tier national teams anyway, having a superstar player is far more effective than having a generally proficient team.

Look at the Dutch - a fantastic all round team but awful performances now that their superstars have waned.

Wales, a generally poor team but pushed by one or two far above average players.

I can’t explain NI’s success though!

I think tactics has a lot to do with it too. The Dutch are predictable; they've not moved forward, despite still having one of the top squads in world football. 

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

I was paraphrasing from memory but I've just found the article and he did describe him as "old fashioned" and "old school".

If you're as consistently "lucky" as they've been you have a right to be desribed as something better :) He's really achieved the impossible there and if it's not down to players it's down to tactics.

True. I think it's a tough job because you need to be able to put out very different teams with very different tactics depending on who you're playing. You could be playing a France or an England or it could be Belarus or Cyprus. I trust McLeish to make us hard to beat but he definitely has a lot to prove in terms offensive tactics against the teams we should be beating.

Incidentally, Iceland's mastermind Lars Lagerback recently became Norway's new manager and lost his first game 2-0 to his rival mastermind..............................Michael O'Neill.

True, they've been very consistent. I just don't see anything special offensively. They're well-organised, and clearly effective, but I think they've had good groups, although not easy by any means -- time will tell if they can replicate it. 

I think that's where we fall down. We can be well-organised and defensive, scraping a good result against decent sides, then completely fail against those we'd expect to beat; it is, as you say, the offensive side of it where we struggle, as it's just too predictable and one-dimensional. 

Give Lagerback time! Norway have a good bunch of players there; solid squad, without having any superstar -- Odegaard comes close, but he's still too young.

17 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I don't think he is. Tierney is better....but not as good as Robertson.

Who McCoist could've signed when he was at Queens Park.  Yet another missed opportunity.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:
Who McCoist could've signed when he was at Queens Park.  Yet another missed opportunity.

And that pisses me off every time i see him. Robertson was THE class player on our way back up and we should have signed him..

17 hours ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Not having that mate. Scotland has some very talented and forward thinking people.

While I have not been in the new hospital in Glasgow which I have only heard negative remarks over my own experience of the hospitals I have visited in the Glasgow area are that they are decades behind hospitals in the Netherlands.

4 hours ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

He would never have signed for us.

A QP player being offered the chance to play for us? Is he really that bitter? 

It's an easy thing to say, particularly once you've made it, but I find it hard to believe he's have turned us down.