Oli McBurnie admits he dreams of playing for Rangers one day

Burning ambition

Rangers-daft Oli McBurnie opens up on failed Gers move and reveals Kris Boyd and Nikica Jelavic were his boyhood heroes

Ibrox boss Graeme Murty showed an interest in the Swansea hitman in January - before he moved on loan to English Championship outfit Barnsely.

SCOTLAND new boy Oli McBurnie admits he dreams of playing for Rangers one day.

Ibrox boss Graeme Murty showed interest in the Swansea hitman in January – before he moved to Barnsley on loan.

McBurnie has been a success in the Championship but revealed his ambition is to star for his boyhood heroes.

He said: “There were murmurs about Rangers in January but nothing ever happens easily or simply for me. “I got told about 3pm on deadline day that nothing was going to happen and I had a certain amount of clubs to pick from. “I ended up choosing Barnsley and it’s going well for me at the minute.

“Would I play for Rangers down the line? Of course. “I grew up supporting them and one day I would love to pull on the jersey. “We’ll just have to see how my career goes and see if I am lucky enough to pull it on.”

McBurnie was brought up in Leeds but gets his love of Gers from dad Neil and granny Morag.

He said: “Why Rangers? I never really had any choice. “There are photos of me going into school in my Rangers tops and Scotland tops. “You always support who your old man supports, don’t you? I don’t think anyone has much choice. “I don’t hide it on social media. It helps that I’m in a different country.

“If I was playing in Scotland, I don’t think I would be able to get away with it. “I like to have a good laugh on Twitter and Instagram with the fans. A bit of banter never hurt anyone. “I’m a Rangers fan. I’m not going to hide it. You get a bit of stick for it, but it is what it is.

“Growing up, I loved Kris Boyd and Nikica Jelavic. I remember being gutted when he left to go to Everton. “There have been some ridiculously good players at Rangers over the years, but those were the ones I looked up to. “I was in the back garden shouting ‘JELAVIC!’ when I was younger playing football.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2391284/rangers-oli-mcburnie-kris-boyd-nikica-jelavic-dream-scotland-boyhood-heroes/

Let's put it this way ... he's 21, a decent enough talent, and out of contract in the summer.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/oliver-mcburnie/profil/spieler/298477

I wonder whether we might have taken him on in January, if we hadn't had Herrera, Miller, Dodoo, and O'Halloran on our wage bill at the time, all of whom could play through the middle. I reckon that we might lose all four of them and possibly Morelos in the summer, so McBurnie might well get his wish and play alongside his pal soon enough.

Would take him and big Michael Kramer both of them could bully defences and both would be free as long as we get others of the books 

Rangers were always built on big strong tall powerful players get back to that we can start beating Celtic again

DB, I think transfermarkt is out of date, iv heard that Swansea had an option of an automatic 1 year extension and they triggered it, might be able to get him on loan next year, unless Swansea are willing to part with him for a bit of cash.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

He's doing well at Barnsley, so I doubt we'd be able to afford him. 

Not so long ago if anyone said we couldn't afford a player from Barnsley people would have looked at you as if you had horns on your head .:rfc:

9 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Can you imagine the reaction if someone told you we couldn't afford a Swansea player 20 years ago?  

I think that's why the past few years have been so difficult in particular for the bears that remember 1986 and the following NIAR years.  We were signing some of the best players in the world (Butcher, Woods, Steven, Wilkins, Klos, Laudrup, Gazza, Thern, etc) and now we have players that can't get games for teams we have hardly heard of.

I've tried to reset my expectations but find that very hard to do, if not impossible.  All I'm asking for is that we uncover one gem of a player that can get us on the edge of our seats, or one strong defender who can lead the team with the character of a Gough/Butcher.  Too much to ask for?

23 hours ago, Dryhorse said:

Would take him and big Michael Kramer both of them could bully defences and both would be free as long as we get others of the books 

Rangers were always built on big strong tall powerful players get back to that we can start beating Celtic again

I had to Google Michael Kramer, and i'm not sure where an audiobook narrator will fit into our team.