New manager rumours

1 hour ago, TheUKCrazyhorse said:

I see Robbie Nielson's name touted as an outsider this morning. Wouldn't be the worst candidate to be fair - knows the game up here, did alright at Hearts after the were promoted back into the Premiership.

I think the Murty experiment suggests that the idea of a relatively unexperienced 'Head Coach' working with the first team won't work at Rangers and will only see us go through them like golf balls.

I think we need a reasonably experienced and respected manager who will take and be comfortable with real authority.

------------------

I'd put Neilson in the former category. IMO he hasn't the necessary experience or respect in the game. 

He did ok at Hearts under Levein but getting canned in the lower half of the third tier in England doesn't cut it.

36 minutes ago, buster. said:

I think the Murty experiment suggests that the idea of a relatively unexperienced 'Head Coach' working with the first team won't work at Rangers and will only see us go through them like golf balls.

I think we need a reasonably experienced and respected manager who will take and be comfortable with real authority.

------------------

I'd put Neilson in the former category. IMO he hasn't the necessary experience or respect in the game. 

He did ok at Hearts under Levein but getting canned in the lower half of the third tier in England doesn't cut it.

Aye, fair point. At least Cathro hasn't been mentioned.

Yet.

I'm sure there's a new version of Football Manager out soon though, so he'll probably be busy anyway.

3 minutes ago, TheUKCrazyhorse said:

Aye, fair point. At least Cathro hasn't been mentioned.

Yet.

I'm sure there's a new version of Football Manager out soon though, so he'll probably be busy anyway.

Behave !

52 minutes ago, buster. said:

Methinks the last line is the reason why the first line was "no experiment". For I simply suspect that Murty was the only real fall-back option (given his reasonable performance as a caretaker before) and no-one of the required qualities was about. A propability hardly ever mentioned.

2 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Methinks the last line is the reason why the first line was "no experiment". For I simply suspect that Murty was the only real fall-back option (given his reasonable performance as a caretaker before) and no-one of the required qualities was about. A propability hardly ever mentioned.

Yes, perhaps we stumbled into an experimental 'test-run' of inexperienced Head Coach plus DoF with more active role.

Whether we did or not, it hasn't worked and it's clear that the level of expectation/pressure at Rangers is far too much to handle for inexperienced coaches.

What surprises me is the apparent quietish role of Jimmy Nicholl. Since it could very well be that a new manager has been found but is still under contract, I would have hoped that Murty had packed his bags and Nicholl taking over. AFAIK, Kevin Thomson works with the club too, so Nicholl, him and Johansson till the end of the season.

BTW, one of my favourites, Graham Potter, seemingly has signed a new 3-year deal with Östersunds, so that's that.

18 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

What surprises me is the apparent quietish role of Jimmy Nicholl. Since it could very well be that a new manager has been found but is still under contract, I would have hoped that Murty had packed his bags and Nicholl taking over. AFAIK, Kevin Thomson works with the club too, so Nicholl, him and Johansson till the end of the season.

BTW, one of my favourites, Graham Potter, seemingly has signed a new 3-year deal with Östersunds, so that's that.

I thought Nicholl was a smart appointment to compliment Murty and after the American trip in January, it did seem to produce an enviroment where the team was scoring goals, winning games and enjoying their football.

But since the defeat to Celtic at Ibrox, the fragility of the squad and management has re-surfaced, been rag-dolled in the media and most don't seem to be of the right stuff to withstand it.

We don't know what Nicholl thinks, wants or how he is now considered by others, so although he may seem an obvious stop-gap, for one reason or another, maybe he isn't.

Edited by buster.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Kevin Thomson has only just started at the club in the last couple of months, currently coaching the U13's alongside Greg Statt.  Has great ambition - but is no different in that regard to Lovenkrands or even Stephen Wright, all of whom hold their A Licenses.  I think, but could be wrong, that Lovenkrands holds his Pro License too (not sure about Wright) - the only reason KT didn't get his Pro License was because his Academy took off so well and he didn't have the time to do the license - and he didn't want to leave the kids without him being the coach at his own Academy.

Yes, Rousseau, I am biased :ninja: - but I do think that people like Kevin Thomson and, indeed Lovenkrands, have such a winner's mentality that Sunday's performance wouldn't have been acceptable - they likely would have been in the middle of the barney too, because they care so much.