Scott Arfield pre-contract deal?

Rangers look to secure pre-contract deal for Burnley midfielder Scott Arfield as director of football Mark Allen plans to strengthen failing squad

• Rangers are trying to sign Burnley midfielder Scott Arfield on a pre-contract deal
  • The former Falkirk player is coming to the end of his contract at Turf Moor 
  • Rangers hope to secure the 29-year-old as one of their first summer acquisitions 
  • Scotland midfielder James McArthur also features on a list of summer targets

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5645221/Rangers-look-secure-pre-contract-deal-Burnleys-Scott-Arfield.html#ixzz5DTmofZa8

Yeah, it's been rumoured for a while now.

He's a decent player actually and we should have signed him when he was at Falkirk but I'm not sure where he'd fit in now given Candeias' form and the fact Arfield quite often played in wider roles (or has any time I've watched Burnley).

He'll be 30 in November and hasn't featured for a few weeks.

Given our recent record of bringing in 30 year old+ players who for one reason or another are about to 'break down', I'd hope that the bulk of new players are a fair bit younger than Arfield.

As Frankie aludes to, we need to start buying this type of player when he is 22-24 (or younger) and he has a career in front of him. Obviously, to do that we need to start improving more players.

16 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

I’d imagine we would look to use him as an inside right. Similar to where Scott Brown has been moved.

Yeah, he'd have to play a bit deeper but even then we have Dorrans, Jack and Docherty so Arfield might struggle to get in the team.

He's a known quantity, of good quality and played at a good level. He could play #10, and give Windass some competition.

But, he's getting on a bit.

A bit like Dorrans, actually.

I think we need quality at the moment over potential. We're slating Morelos, McCrorie, Docherty and (too a lesser extent) Windass at the moment, who're all players with potential.