I know ive always harped on about this being my preferred formation but i really think we should give this a bash especially with the personnel we have at the moment.

It gives us extra bite in midfield with the physical side of the SPL plus it allows a creative man in a natural position.

Id have Alan Hutton as a wing back as he has been very good in getting forward of late and i feel he could be up and down that right side all day. The only problem is whether to have Adam or Thomson on the left but Id pip Thomson in there.

Personally id like to see this tried (obviously when everyones fit)

______________McGregor______________

_______Weir____Ehiogu____Webster______

Hutton____Hemdani___Ferguson__Thomson_

_______________Buffel_________________

____________Boyd___Prso_____________

There's no point having 3 CHs at home. The opposition more than usual play with a lone striker so basically we're wasting a position.

Not really coz you are dropping your numbers at the back from 4 to 3 and allowing an extra midfield man while keeping 2 up top.

Its not the idea of the formation itself which worries me, but the lack of attacking options with Thomson, Hemdani and Fergie in the middle. Also, what's Webster like, is he a pacy CH, as I think we'd need someone fast to cover for the other pair.

Its not the idea of the formation itself which worries me, but the lack of attacking options with Thomson, Hemdani and Fergie in the middle. Also, what's Webster like, is he a pacy CH, as I think we'd need someone fast to cover for the other pair.

He's no Linford Christie but I dont think he's a slouch either.

Formations are in fact bullshit. You can put 11 dustbins in any formation you want but if there is no movement then there will be no difference.

3-5-2 can easily become 5-3-2 if the other team are playing better. How often do you see teams pinned back on there own 18 yard line. What formation is that? You can only choose your formation if you are the stronger team and then it mostly works out as a 4-3-3. The difference between formations on the blackboard is a few inches, on the park a few yards, but the fact is the stronger team will almost always win no matter what formation they play.

The last time Walter tried 3-5-2 we were dire in Europe. Let's not go down that road again. In my memory we've always done better with 4-4-2.

Agreed but when Walter used to play 3-5-2 he didnt have 3 strong centre halfs like we do now (ok he had Gough but thats only 1) and he used to play Craig Moore and Alec Cleland in the midfield.

We were alwasy better with a 4-4-2 but this is when we had McCall, Laudrup, Gazza, Albertz, Gio, Tugay, Reyna....

But with the personnel available now i think the 3-5-2 would work better.