The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

DOM AVOIDS CHOP

Rangers target Dominic Solanke DOESN’T feature on Liverpool’s £100million clear-out with up to EIGHT players facing the chop

Gers boss Steven Gerrard has been forced to play the waiting game all summer, hoping Klopp would sanction a loan deal for Solanke

By Ryan McDonald
24th July 2018, 4:15 pm
Updated: 24th July 2018, 4:17 pm

LIVERPOOL are set to axe eight first-team stars this summer in a £100million clear-out – but Rangers target Dominic Solanke isn’t one of them.

Boss Jurgen Klopp wants to trim his squad before the transfer window closes, with Loris Karius and Danny Ings two potential high-profile departures.

Dominic Solanke

Getty Images - Getty
Dominic Solanke has impressed Jurgen Klopp during pre-season

But in a hammer blow to Gers gaffer Steven Gerrard, top target Solanke doesn’t feature on the reported chop list.

Reds legend Gerrard has been forced to play the waiting game on a loan deal for the England cap all summer, with Klopp undecided on his future.

But it’s now believed the ex-Chelsea striker will stick around at Anfield this season in a bid to make a breakthrough.

And unless Stevie G can convince Klopp the 20-year-old would be best served heading to Ibrox, he will be forced to turn his attentions elsewhere.

Steven Gerrard

EPA
Steven Gerrard had wanted Solanke to lead his attacking line

According to the Daily Mail, Ben Woodburn – who has also been linked with Gers – will be allowed to spend the campaign elsewhere to further his development.

A move to Govan appears unlikely though following the arrival of Ryan Kent, who plays in the same position.

WIND OF CHANGE Josh Windass wanted by FOUR English clubs, including two in EPL

Meanwhile error-prone keeper Karius looks set for an exit after he was replaced by £67million Brazil stopper Alisson.

Former Burnley star Ings also wants to resurrect his career away from Merseyside after growing frustrated at his lack of action and could be sold for around £20m.

Jurgen Klopp

USA TODAY Sports
Jurgen Klopp is ready to axe up to eight first-team stars – but Solanke is one he wants to keep

Brendan Rodgers signings Lazar Markovic and Divock Origi have also been transfer listed.

Markovic, 24, has impressed during pre-season but will be allowed to leave should an offer of £7m come Liverpool’s way.

The Reds also want £27m for Belgian striker Origi, who spent last season on loan at Wolfsburg.

WIND OF CHANGE

Rangers star Josh Windass wanted by FOUR English clubs including Premier League duo West Ham and Burnley, according to reports

The 24-year-old featured in both Europa League games against Shkupi but could find himself on the bench this Thursday

Gossip
By Gary Taylor
24th July 2018, 4:27 pm
Updated: 24th July 2018, 4:28 pm

JOSH WINDASS is reportedly being chased by FOUR English clubs.

The Rangers star, 24, has featured regularly under new boss Steven Gerrard but faces competition for a starting berth from the club’s summer signings.

Josh Windass

Willie Vass
Josh Windass is highly-regarded down south

According to the Daily Mail, Windass has plenty of admirers down south, including Premier League duo West Ham and Burnley.

West Brom and Aston Villa have also been credited with an interest.

Windass joined the Ibrox side on a free from Accrington Stanley two years ago and Gers will hold out for £3million.

The attacking midfielder only signed a new long-term contract in February with his deal now running until 2021.

But new boss Steven Gerrard could be tempted to cash in on the player, who could be benched for Thursday’s Europa League clash against Osijek in Croatia.

Dave King tells STV there are still at least two more to come in and two going out. I think we can presume one of the two incoming will be a striker and SG still seems desperate to land another CB.

The identities of the two outgoing is debatable.

43 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Dave King tells STV there are still at least two more to come in and two going out. I think we can presume one of the two incoming will be a striker and SG still seems desperate to land another CB.

The identities of the two outgoing is debatable.

I think you are right on the latter.  I suspect that SG fancies a 3-5-2 - chasing another CB would suggest so, unless the additional CB would be a back-up - that, however, is doubtful to me given the people we are seemingly chasing - 3 million on Jake Cooper is NOT a back-up CB.

I think if we get another CB then a 3-5-2 makes sense.  We have so many midfielders that we could comfortably go 3-5-2 there.  The 2 up front would be the issue with Morelos not firing on all cylinders.  Sadiq and Morelos are really all we have up there, though I would be keen to see.... wait for it.... Windass given a shot at making striker his position - I think he is a much more natural finisher than Morelos and could play on the shoulder of the last man.  But, either way, another striker allows you to play a 3-5-2.

What would be encouraging if we get a new CB and ST in, if they are high quality... is that we would have a squad that should be capable of playing 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 - pretty much any variation we wanted.

These last two signings need to be QUALITY though IMO.  We have brought in talent, we have brought in potential, we have brought in experience - but we need a high quality scorer.  Ideally I would like to see a high quality creator too, but I am being greedy.

5 minutes ago, craig said:

3 million on Jake Cooper is NOT a back-up CB.

That's my thinking on it too and given there have been rumours of 3-5-2 since he stepped through the front door this chasing of multi million CB's would appear to back that hypothesis.

I'm more than confident he has been watching many hours of footage from last season and seen the times we were being overrun in the midfield. A 3-5-2 may negate that.

And with a strike partner we may start getting goals from the incredible sulk again.