The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

50 minutes ago, Dave M609 said:

I thought we offered 3.5mill for Cooper from Milwall a couple of weeks ago

This what's confused me. Since this bid, we've received about £3.8m in transfer fees (Windass, John, Waghorn) and spent £1.5m (Barisic), so we're up £2.3m.

We've also shifted 7 players off the wage bill (Windass, John, Alves, Cardoso, Herrera, Docherty, Forrester) and only taken on two additional wages (Barisic, Kent).

So from the time of the Cooper bid we're £2.3m up with a significantly smaller wage bill. This is why I thought we still had plenty left to spend.

One explanation is that Gerrard is happier than expected with Katic so is only looking for a backup now rather than a starter so is happy to go for a loan. Could be too that they think the squad is looking better in general than expected and don't want to rock the boat so are happy to keep money back for January.

11 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

This all over the place I would say needlessly over multiple posts which I can't be bothered going over again. Here's the gist of it.

I say with a Euro run thrown in we can compete with the likes of Leeds and their 18K of season tickets and average 20K or so crowds you say we can't. That's your opinion and mine is that we're superior to them in every way aside from their TV money.

And their TV cash isn't net. Unless they pay no tax.

How would they be paying tax if they are running at a loss, as you suggested in post #2205 ?

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

I do wonder if we're waiting to see what happens tomorrow night before deciding upon our preferred targets.

Agreed.  I suspect we have been looking at players within a certain price range and expecting to NOT reach the group stages..... The fact we are getting results far beyond reasonable expectation so early could have the Board holding fire knowing that IF we make the group stages then we a) need more players and b) may have more money to seek out a higher caliber of option than we were previously looking at and c) we could entice a better player with the offer of group stage games.

A new rumour - Claudio Yacob from WBA; midfielder; 31yo; as cover. 

I suspect, fear, if true, he would collect  cards like a wean collects Panini stickers, given our diligent officials.

Also: K-Laff will sign  after Euro Qualifier, as Steven Ge55ard wants no distractions prior to the game. 

Don't shoot the messenger.

Edited by Uilleam

You have to expect they have talked to Stevie about this like in asking him in your expert opinion are we going to make this group stage? Of course northing is certain even when getting expert opinion, it's still just opinion.

But one thing is probably certain, the board didn't expect to make the group stage any more than we did.

Claudio Yacob is a DM/CM, 31-years old Argentinian, who has played in England for ages (with WBA since 2012) ... and he's a freebie.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/claudio-yacob/profil/spieler/45330

Someone to floor Edouard, Sinclair, and Griffiths ...

BTW, might give us the chance to move Coulibaly a little more forward?

1 minute ago, the gunslinger said:
19 hours ago, trublusince1982 said:
For example Middlesbroughs highest earner is on £30k a week 

We were paying more than that last year and probably still are

Doubt Alves was on any less.

This all over the place I would say needlessly over multiple posts which I can't be bothered going over again. Here's the gist of it.

I say with a Euro run thrown in we can compete with the likes of Leeds and their 18K of season tickets and average 20K or so crowds you say we can't. That's your opinion and mine is that we're superior to them in every way aside from their TV money.

And their TV cash isn't net. Unless they pay no tax.
Theres vat on tv income?

Certainly they wont be paying corporation tax.