Pena will 'not continue' with Cruz Azul loan deal

Pena is 28 years old. If he's not 'wised up' by now he never will. The reason he joined Rangers was clubs in Mexico had lost faith in him, only the Caixinho connection got him a gig at Cruz Azul, now that's bombed no one will touch him. I'd be astonished if he ever plays for Rangers again. He'll surely be told he needs to report to training everyday, but he won't be considered for the 1st team and he won't be getting any win or appearance bonuses, or else he can find another club or rip up his contract and walk away. I expect a similar conversation has/will take place with Herrera. 

I think we'll keep Morelos though I don't expect us to sign Cummings permanently. 

21 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Pena is 28 years old. If he's not 'wised up' by now he never will. The reason he joined Rangers was clubs in Mexico had lost faith in him, only the Caixinho connection got him a gig at Cruz Azul, now that's bombed no one will touch him. I'd be astonished if he ever plays for Rangers again. He'll surely be told he needs to report to training everyday, but he won't be considered for the 1st team and he won't be getting any win or appearance bonuses, or else he can find another club or rip up his contract and walk away. I expect a similar conversation has/will take place with Herrera. 

I think we'll keep Morelos though I don't expect us to sign Cummings permanently. 

...except that 3 different places (the Record, the Sun and the Nottingham Post) are reporting today that Rangers have opened talks to take Cummings permanently.

Gerrard has said repeatedly that squad harmony is a top priority at Liverpool and will be when he takes over at Rangers. I don't think Pena's feet will touch the ground.

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

Will you underwrite his wages?

We have to pay his wages no matter what so it would be better trying to get something out of him.

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

Gerrard has said repeatedly that squad harmony is a top priority at Liverpool and will be when he takes over at Rangers. I don't think Pena's feet will touch the ground.

What does that mean though bill?  Do we pay him off?  Either way we are paying him, so as Pete says we might as well try to get him fit and available for selection.  It may be futile, but Gerrard will be aware of him and might think it's worth investing in him.  Gerrard is a confident chap so maybe he'll enjoy that challenge .... as if the rest isn't challenge enough.

1 minute ago, Gaffer said:

What does that mean though bill?  Do we pay him off?  Either way we are paying him, so as Pete says we might as well try to get him fit and available for selection.  It may be futile, but Gerrard will be aware of him and might think it's worth investing in him.  Gerrard is a confident chap so maybe he'll enjoy that challenge .... as if the rest isn't challenge enough.

The challenge isn't Gerrard On Pena. The challenge is Pena against Alcohol and maybe drugs.

1 minute ago, Gaffer said:

If we have to pay him anyway then the financial situation is irrelevant. My guess is that Gerrard won't risk a disruptive presence in the first team dressing room ... and Pena clearly IS a risk.

Just now, Bill said:

If we have to pay him anyway then the financial situation is irrelevant. My guess is that Gerrard won't risk a disruptive presence in the first team dressing room ... and Pena clearly IS a risk.

I thought he was sniffing his shorts in Mexico but he probably had something in his shorts

2 hours ago, pete said:

We have to pay his wages no matter what so it would be better trying to get something out of him.

No.

It could be very poisonous to have a dressing room where one guy doesn't bother his backside while raking in thousands of pounds a week.  Imagine trying to persuade the rest to go the extra mile while he is around.

Any effort to get more out of him is likely to be a waste of effort.  The manager should focus his efforts on players that will offer a return.

Pay him off as efficiently as possible.

Just now, ranger_syntax said:

No.

It could be very poisonous to have a dressing room where one guy doesn't bother his backside while raking in thousands of pounds a week.  Imagine trying to persuade the rest to go the extra mile while he is around.

Any effort to get more out of him is likely to be a waste of effort.  The manager should focus his efforts on players that will offer a return.

Pay him off as efficiently as possible.

That is indeed an option but that choice will be Pena's and not Rangers to make. Will he want 2 years in Scotland turning up to training every day or a pay-off and return to Mexico. Winston Bogarde at Chelsea decided he wanted his full pound and turned up for training 5 years long. Mexico is far further than Holland of course.