Scott Arfield confirmed on a 4 year deal

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

Sometimes wonder about some on here,"we need stability and experience"and we are probably getting that with Arfield,then detractors say too old for sell-on value but we already have players of that ilk e.g McCrorie,Jack,Rossiter,Morelos to name a few.

Certainly we could flood the team with all our youngsters but leave ourselves open to another struggle which is why we need one or two experienced hands whether they have a sell on value or not.

It's about learning from the past and going for a balance.

A couple of experienced players who can provide leadership are very much needed but we need energy, legs, less propensity for time in the treatment room and on a business side, yes, we do need re-sale value on the majority of signings.

47 minutes ago, les186 said:

We need some decent defenders not another aging midfielder.

You do realise that the window isn't even open yet, right ?  Deary me.

Just now, les186 said:

We wait until the window is open then?

No, but complaining about not getting defenders in before a midfielder, when the window isn't even open is more than just a touch premature.

If you were making that same statement on the last day of the window I would be wholeheartedly agreeing with you.  But clubs don't have the luxury of bringing in recruits based on hierarchical structure of needs.  They can't be saying "right, need two CB's... don't sign anyone until we get two CB's".  Response "But boss, Messi just said he wants to play for us for free".  Boss "we need CB's first so don't be signing anyone till we get those CB's".

Point being - you can hardly complain about the lack of defensive recruits, or the recruitment of a midfielder prior to a defender, when the window hasn't even opened.

8 minutes ago, craig said:

No, but complaining about not getting defenders in before a midfielder, when the window isn't even open is more than just a touch premature.

If you were making that same statement on the last day of the window I would be wholeheartedly agreeing with you.  But clubs don't have the luxury of bringing in recruits based on hierarchical structure of needs.  They can't be saying "right, need two CB's... don't sign anyone until we get two CB's".  Response "But boss, Messi just said he wants to play for us for free".  Boss "we need CB's first so don't be signing anyone till we get those CB's".

Point being - you can hardly complain about the lack of defensive recruits, or the recruitment of a midfielder prior to a defender, when the window hasn't even opened.

My point is don't waste money on wages for a player we don't need, save it for some good defenders. We don't have a lot of funds as far as I know.

17 minutes ago, les186 said:

My point is don't waste money on wages for a player we don't need, save it for some good defenders. We don't have a lot of funds as far as I know.

And what if he is a player who is coming in to replace another, less effective player ?