Scott Arfield confirmed on a 4 year deal

Four year deal for a 29 year old is probably a year (maybe two) too long but I guess it might have been one of the main reasons he chose to come to Ibrox.

Edited by buster.

He seems to be a very confident guy. I'd think he'd bring a winning mentality with that kind of confidence and being another Scottish lad in the dressing room should integrate easily and bond well with the players.

He seems to have lost his place in the Burnley side in January due to the signings of Aaron Lennon and a loan player from Spurs. However Burnley were in 7th place when he dropped out of the side too, and he had played 90 minutes for most of those games so he has played at a seriously high level only a few months ago.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

Four year deal for a 29 year old is probably a year (maybe two) too long but I guess it might have been one of the main reasons he chose to come to Ibrox.

Yeh I'm not going to pick on it because you can guarantee that 4 years was something he insisted on for stability in the twilight of his career and Mark Allen probably decided that was a risk worth taking and I'd imagine would have negotiated the wage down slightly as a result.

Even a 4 yr deal only takes him to 33.  If he has looked after himself well and not suffered too many injuries then 33 is still relatively young.  I am all for bringing guys in who have resale value, but you also need experience to help them with that.

On yesterday's performance I would be looking at building my team around Rossiter who is a youngster - so someone like Arfield can be the experienced head beside him

As it stands we have no competition for Candeias on the right side of midfield - Arfield provides that as well being able to play on the left or central.

His wages won't be low but for a free transfer, it represents good business.

Sometimes wonder about some on here,"we need stability and experience"and we are probably getting that with Arfield,then detractors say too old for sell-on value but we already have players of that ilk e.g McCrorie,Jack,Rossiter,Morelos to name a few.

Certainly we could flood the team with all our youngsters but leave ourselves open to another struggle which is why we need one or two experienced hands whether they have a sell on value or not.

3 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Sometimes wonder about some on here,"we need stability and experience"and we are probably getting that with Arfield,then detractors say too old for sell-on value but we already have players of that ilk e.g McCrorie,Jack,Rossiter,Morelos to name a few.

Certainly we could flood the team with all our youngsters but leave ourselves open to another struggle which is why we need one or two experienced hands whether they have a sell on value or not.

That's nothing....

Wait till you hear the same people who complain about us bringing in players who ore "only League one" players.  Now that we have Arfield, who is an established EPL player, they will be looking for additional reasons to lampoon his signing - probably "aye, but he couldn't get a game in front of a Spurs loanee" or, the standard go to "he has no resale value" or "is too old".

We are never pleased.

Every single signing poses risk.  Arfield, like all others, gets the time to prove or disprove his worth.  But he comes with decent pedigree, having been a consistent performer in a team which finished well beyond expectations this season in the EPL.

9 minutes ago, craig said:

That's nothing....

Wait till you hear the same people who complain about us bringing in players who ore "only League one" players.  Now that we have Arfield, who is an established EPL player, they will be looking for additional reasons to lampoon his signing - probably "aye, but he couldn't get a game in front of a Spurs loanee" or, the standard go to "he has no resale value" or "is too old".

We are never pleased.

Every single signing poses risk.  Arfield, like all others, gets the time to prove or disprove his worth.  But he comes with decent pedigree, having been a consistent performer in a team which finished well beyond expectations this season in the EPL.

From what I know of Arfield (which ain't a lot really), I get the impression that he may not be an outstanding technical player, but more someone who will simply get the job done - solid & reliable.  If that's the case, it's exactly what we need.

As for being value for money....he's 29 & on a 4yr deal.  He could have an outstanding 1st season & sold for £4m or he could end his career at Ibrox, playing until he's nearly 40 or he sees out his deal & moves on, possibly for a free.  Who knows.  What we should be getting is a player with experience & hopefully in his prime.

When you watch the press conference you can't help but be really pleased for the guy and excited to see him pull on the jersey. I remember his goal against us in a friendly a couple of seasons back which was very well taken. Very exciting times seeing how the squad shapes up between now and that first European game!

Edited by DMAA