Jamie Murphy joins permanently on three year deal

9 hours ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Yeah, we need a core of 5 or 6 quality players like the tims have. We don't have this and Murphy isn't such a player. 

I´ll agree with you on this one I don´t rate him that much.

On 5/18/2018 at 14:09, lenny3k said:

good player who should step up with better players around him...

My concern with him is his delivery, I don't see that being improved by having better players around him. 

15 hours ago, Briton said:

My concern with him is his delivery, I don't see that being improved by having better players around him. 

Better players around, may encourage extra training sessions,which then leads to better output on the pitch.

Also, a higher level of player may be more able to adjust their positioning better for an incoming cross, than others.  Therefore resulting in better completion stats etc.

I’m surprised at people’s negativity towards Murphy. Without him we’d have been blown away by Hibs, he got 3 assists and was instrumental in most of what went right. He’s also one of the only players we have who can dribble past his man, and he’s been better at this when he’s playing through the middle. 

8 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I’m surprised at people’s negativity towards Murphy. Without him we’d have been blown away by Hibs, he got 3 assists and was instrumental in most of what went right. He’s also one of the only players we have who can dribble past his man, and he’s been better at this when he’s playing through the middle. 

Agreed - in recent games when our central midfield and defence go missing, it's bordering on the impossible for our attackers to get into the game.

Murphy has disappointed in some games but only when we don't have any sort of foothold.  When we are able to retain possession then Murphy is usually effective in forward areas.

He looks to me as if he has clearly been playing out of position. He just doesnt look comfortable on that left touchline, and defenders know they only need to show him outside onto his left and the threat is greatly reduced. 

The times he has looked better is when he gets the ball 10-15 yards infield and can go both ways against a defender. It makes me think he would be much better in the hole, or a central position.

His defensive workrate has been pretty average to date and not sure if this is a negative trait of his or just the way the team is set up, but he doesnt put in half the defensive workrate that Candieas puts in.

Murphy is one of a number of our players that I believe are much better than we have seen this season, down to our poor management and tactics, and under a proper manager, coaching and tactics we should see a much better player. Whether Gerrard is the man to do this or not is of course impossible to predict, but if he can get it right, we are not too far off having a team that can challenge for domestic titles.