Odsonne Edouard £9 million

They're gambling on making the CL group stage again. In fact it's probably a necessity like never before. However, the £9m is most likely spread in instalments over 3 years or so and the debt can be cleared at any time by selling him on..

32 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Methinks PSG will want money now, as they have to sell massively till the end of June and even more next season.

Maybe but you're entering the murky world of accountants here. xD PSG can book all £9m as income now. Any instalment arrangement will only affect cashflow.

14 hours ago, buster. said:

I'd agree, the team doesn't get an improvement in quality

What it represents for them is fourfold.

- stability (not a loan) but it costs them plenty

- mitigation in the risk when spending 9M as he is a known quantity

- investment with mind to sell for profit

- more likely to sell Dembele

I agree with this, however, the one in bold is a huge risk for me.... There are not many clubs in world football, who will pay a huge increase on £9million on a player who is playing against the likes of Dundee and Livingston (no offence intended) week in week out, regardless of how good he looks. 

If he performs in Champions League thats a different story, however, so far, Celtic haven't exactly given their strikers much of a chance in the Champions League under Rodgers......

15 minutes ago, lenny3k said:

I agree with this, however, the one in bold is a huge risk for me.... There are not many clubs in world football, who will pay a huge increase on £9million on a player who is playing against the likes of Dundee and Livingston (no offence intended) week in week out, regardless of how good he looks. 

If he performs in Champions League thats a different story, however, so far, Celtic haven't exactly given their strikers much of a chance in the Champions League under Rodgers......

The proof is in the pudding and we'll see how much Dembele eventually goes for.

The CL shop window is important to them and is part of a strategy that is getting to be ever more reliant on CL qualification.....but as you infer, just how good a shop window is getting slaughtered several times ? Tierney is given Messiah status in Scotland but is also part of a defence that gets serially hammered against better players.

When they did a little better in Europe results wise, they sold-on some players that went on to well in England but under Rodgers that hasn't yet happened.