Gersnet World Cup Prediction League: Final

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

Lulled you into a false sense of achievement then thumbed my nose at you as I raced past on the home straight.

I just phoned The Samaritans.  They told me to piss off.

Kudos for the winner and Rousseau to keep it all up.

+ + +

The French then. Cheat their way to the free-kick to score from. Go bananas at the ref because of a hand-ball to get a soft to dubious penalty. Dance like a madman because scoring with the penalty. Act "totally clever and cool" by lettting the underdog play football while sitting back, soaking up pressure and hit the underdog on the counter ... AND THEN ... manage to concede a freak goal to deny me the second correct score of the tournament. Total tosspotts!

We sure had some good games and moments during this World Cup, but the behaviour by those who are supposedly the best out there - be they French, Brazilian or whatever - left a bad taste in the mouth.

Edited by der Berliner

13 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Of course, I'm taking bronze. :D 

What about this empty threat being banded about over the sceptic crest? Come Rousseau get it done? dB was last and I have just wiped the sweat off my arse!!

Edited by cooponthewing

44 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

What about this empty threat being banded about over the sceptic crest? Come Rousseau get it done? dB was last and I have just wiped the sweat off my arse!!

I wouldn't want to dehumanise him... :ninja: 

10 hours ago, craig said:

I lost a fair bit of respect for Griezmann with the dive for the first.  Second wasn’t a penalty IMO.  That final left a sour taste in the mouth.

I'm most definitely in the minority.

Was Griezman not tripped for the freekick and did the Croat not move his hand towards the ball? I though yes to both.

21 minutes ago, onevision said:

Was Griezman not tripped for the freekick and did the Croat not move his hand towards the ball? I though yes to both.

The penalty was very much borderline yes or no. The ref spent a while looking at the screen, made to return to the pitch only to doubleback for another look at another replay. I think on balance he got that right, the hand of Persic moves towards the ball to cut out a cross.

The free-kick is dubious but they are often given. My initial thought was that Pogba was offside at the free-kick and interferes with play by changing the bodyposition of Mandzuckic

ie. VAR missed one and got the other (IMO)

1 hour ago, onevision said:

Griezman definitely dived for the free kick.  He had decided to go down and did that cute thing where they move their ankle against the defender's leg so it looks like contact was made - pathetic cheating!

As for the other incident, in my opinion it was a penalty.  For me there was a clear deliberate act by Perisic to move his hand down to block the ball.  That's the value of VAR, because those acts go on all the time but are hard to spot.  VAR has been brilliant, but I'd also like it to be used more widely.  It takes about 40 seconds to organise and take a free kick.  It takes about 30 seconds to make a VAR decision.  That free kick could have been given, and while they're setting up, the video referee could have been checking it.  When he realises it's cheating, the ref can give the free kick the other way and book Griezman.  That's hopefully the next step towards rescuing our game from these morons that's are ruining the image.