Steven Gerrard backs Josh Windass to respond to Ibrox jeers

9 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Windass had a good game tonight, by his standards.

Thanks for seeing the positives. I thought he did well.

I actually thought, 'right -- here's a game where they can't blame him for the usual tripe that comes his way', but no; it was the same 'criticisms' wheeled-out.

16 hours ago, Darthter said:

so good, that he struggled to get a game ahead of Forrest.....

Whereas Windass is a regular starter, who contributed 18 goals last season.

Sorry, Armstrong is clearly miles better than Windass. There's a reason he's now playing in the EPL, which Windass will never go anywhere near. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I actually thought, 'right -- here's a game where they can't blame him for the usual tripe that comes his way', but no; it was the same 'criticisms' wheeled-out.

Looking at individuals goes so far but it's the middle to front block that the manager has to sort out via changes in personnel/formation/tactics.

Rather than just change all the individuals, the manager has to prove his worth by coming up with something that is more effective.

It looks undercooked at the moment, no real cohesion. I think we lack gametime and should have looked to play a couple more friendlies.

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Many of those using the "Windass posted missing" mantra are simply following a comfortably familiar path. It can be hard to admit you were wrong about someone. Windass has clearly responded to Gerrard's leadership and was one of our more committed and effective players on Tuesday. I just wish we would make room for him in a more central position - it's inconceivable he wouldn't be a more effective striker than Morelos, who has contributed almost nothing since last Xmas but continues to have excuses heaped upon him.  

23 hours ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Nobody in England is going to splash the cash on a guy who goes completely missing in at least half the games he plays in one of the worst leagues in European football. 

22 hours ago, Darthter said:

but they appear more than happy to shell out millions on a player who struggles to get into the 1st team @ Ceptic....

I think most teams would look at the benefits that a player like Windass DOES bring, rather than be put off by Gers fans perceptions of what he doesn't bring.....

19 hours ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Armstrong is miles better than Windass. 

3 hours ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Eh? I was answering someone who brought up Armstrong. 

Your first assertion was about players going missing in one of Europe’s worst leagues.  

Darthter responded with with an example of a player that couldn’t go missing as he isn’t even getting games.

your follow up bore no resemblance to your initial assertion.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Looking at individuals goes so far but it's the middle to front block that the manager has to sort out via changes in personnel/formation/tactics.

Rather than just change all the individuals, the manager has to prove his worth by coming up with something that is more effective.

It looks undercooked at the moment, no real cohesion. I think we lack gametime and should have looked to play a couple more friendlies.

When you throw in the 10 day trip to Spain I don't think there was any time for friendlies. He had barely around 4 weeks or so including Spain to get this together and that's a severe time limitation. At the end of the day lack of goals aside they never looked in danger of losing the Shkupi tie.

Given the lack of games beforehand i'm just glad they got through and expect further improvement to develop. The management know the issues and openly concede it. I'm confident they will be working on it.