[FT] Rangers 3 (Morelos 52; Katic 57; Bruce o.g. 62) - 0 Wigan

There's shades of Walter Smith with Gerrard.  We're not conceding.  We're getting decent results despite not looking like Brazil 1970.  

I like it but the next two games will tell us a lot more.  The Croats are no mugs and do well away from home and Aberdeen away is always tough.

But I'm happy tonight.  Looks like we've got a Rangers team who are going to fight for each other and for every point.

4 minutes ago, colinstein said:

Wigan kick off against West Brom a week today. 

If they are as up to speed as us it augers well for our performance

Its Sheffield Wednesday and Judging by that they should be further along than they are.

I like the way the players acted after the 3rd goal.  Halliday and Sadiq looked liked best mates and several other players joined in too.

I feel this weird tingle...it might be optimism.

10 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I like the way the players acted after the 3rd goal.  Halliday and Sadiq looked liked best mates and several other players joined in too.

I feel this weird tingle...it might be optimism.

First half was dross second much better. We look solid and comfortable all over. Great to see every committed and getting a game. The rain was torrential at the end though!

In another note I had forgotten how pricey the kiosks are? Over £12 for a pie, hot dog and two juice.... Decent pie though to be fair.

That was a poor first-half with the ball, but actually, without the ball, we did well.

I was frustrated at our inability to progress the ball up the field; we just gave it away most of the time. Docherty summed it up: his body position was all wrong first half; he was always straight on when receiving from the back so he could not see what was around him, meaning he could only go back, or get caught in possession when he tried to turn; very poor all-round; Second-half he was more side on, meaning he could take it and turn. The tempo was much better. 

I actually thought having Foderingham's ability to pass out from the back helped too -- Alnwick just kept lumping it up, giving it away. I was annoyed at McGregor's inability to pass out too against Osijek, but I would of course take McGregor's superior saving ability and experience etc. every day of the week -- oh, to have a mix of both!   

Middleton is lively, but quite naive; he'll be a good player eventually, and will play a big part this season, I think.

I liked Sadiq. He was a bit sluggish and clumsy -- perhaps that's just his gait -- but he holds the ball up very well, and has a superb burst of pace. There was a moment at around 75 minutes when he chests and lays off a lofted pass, is clattered to the floor with shirt ripped, jumps up and sprints into the box running past everyone else, nearly connecting with Middleton's cross from the left. His long legs allowed him to take in several balls I thought he'd lost. Nice vision too to play in Coulibaly at the end there. 

Murphy's decision-making and positioning is wrong to me. Middleton and Candeias are better. Middleton in particular made some nice runs to collect the ball from the CB. 

Anyway, that was a decent performance. Hopefully we take that into the crucial Thursday game.

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I liked Sadiq. He was a bit sluggish and clumsy -- perhaps that's just his gait -- but he holds the ball up very well, and has a superb burst of pace. There was a moment at around 75 minutes when he chests and lays off a lofted pass, is clattered to the floor with shirt ripped, jumps up and sprints into the box running past everyone else, nearly connecting with Middleton's cross from the left. His long legs allowed him to take in several balls I thought he'd lost. Nice vision too to play in Coulibaly at the end there. 

It was 77:30. What a lay off, and what a run to get on the end of the cross. 

Love it.

1 hour ago, Big Jaws said:

Its Sheffield Wednesday and Judging by that they should be further along than they are.

Maybe not so clear cut about how prepared Wigan are. Maybe we’re simply better than they are?