Murphy Out For Rest Of Season

Every time these surfaces are questioned, we're told that they're financially essential to clubs like Kilmarnock, being cheaper to maintain and allowing unlimited community use of the pitch. So, what's the true differential for Kilmarnock? What might it cost in terms of SPFL/SFA support to allow Kilmarnock and other SPL clubs to meet a new directive to have a grass pitch. Are we talking thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or what?

I remember when Aberdeen should have been relegated but were saved because the promoted club couldn't deliver a 10,000 seat stadium, so why are grass pitches not deemed equally important to the elite game in Scotland? It's farcical.

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Every time these surfaces are questioned, we're told that they're financially essential to clubs like Kilmarnock, being cheaper to maintain and allowing unlimited community use of the pitch. So, what's the true differential for Kilmarnock? What might it cost in terms of SPFL/SFA support to allow Kilmarnock and other SPL clubs to meet a new directive to have a grass pitch. Are we talking thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or what?

I remember when Aberdeen should have been relegated but were saved because the promoted club couldn't deliver a 10,000 seat stadium, so why are grass pitches not deemed equally important to the elite game in Scotland? It's farcical.

The clubs voted on it.

For any change, it's up to the member club(s) to push for another vote and lobby for support.

5 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

When did Rugby Park's original grass surface start going downhill? When I was growing up they always had the best pitch in Scotland. What happened?

Probably more to do with costs, no need for groundsmen or maintenance?

On Radio Scotland (I know, I know) the other night, someone, a journo, a little better informed that the usual indolent crew, made the point that research in Scandinavia indicated, and indicated actually quite clearly, that the incidence of injuries on plastic is not significantly worse than that of grass. 

I had a wee tidy up done on my knee last year, the surgeon - supposedly the top consultant in such procedures - was absolutely adamant that knee injuries on 3G and 4G surfaces, in particular to teens and younger were a huge part of his working week now, and increasing annually. Possibly down to more of these pitches around, but his thoughts were the lack of 'give' un synthetic surfaces, ie studs catch, the sub surface doesn't 'break' like grass roots would, and also the drainage, these surfaces are great when they are wet, but if it's windy or sunny, they dry up very quickly and become even grippier.

if this injury happen to a mank and at Ibrox had a plastic pitch it would be closed down until a grass pitch was installed i bet you. We would be told to play football elsewhere or not at all until a grass pitch has been installed. 

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Probably more to do with costs, no need for groundsmen or maintenance?

The plastic pitches still need maintenance...just not to the same level.

There is also the fact that they can use it for training, therefore no requirement for a separate training facility - which I'd imagine will greatly reduce club costs.