Hampden or Murrayfield decision

12 hours ago, Uilleam said:

So Lord Haugh-Haugh is to fire mullions, pyoor mullions, into Hampden Park. 

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what his quid pro quo will entail?

He's going to get 4x3m in the centre circle to build a dookit.

As a mere spectator and paying customer of Scottish football, I would bulldoze Hamden tomorrow and build a supermarket. It’s a dump, it’s been a dump all my life, and it serves as the fiefdom of a ruling cabal of no-marks who have taken us to obscurity and beyond.

The failure to update it efficiently will not stop me from having mainly good memories of my visits there.

Tam's six inch screamer,Greig's goal V Italy,several cup final wins,seeing world class players like Pele and so on.

Only one real downer the loss to Hibs.

Have only been once at Murrayfield and was not impressed.

Moving from Hampden to Murrayfield would effectively be moving from a 50k stadium to a 67k stadium.

For what reason though? Most of the time the only time Hampden sells out is OF semis & finals.

Now we’ve got Willie Haughey trying to put money into keeping Hampden.

something isn’t right about all this....

Edited by RANGERRAB

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

Moving from Hampden to Murrayfield would effectively be moving from a 50k stadium to a 67k stadium.

For what reason though? Most of the time the only time Hampden sells out is OF semis & finals.

Now we’ve got Willie Haughey trying to put money into keeping Hampden.

something isn’t right about all this....

But Murrayfield is already there, so no capital investment would be necessary. The SFA would only be renting the occasional use of the stadium. The only requirement for capital would be if the SFA wants to stay at Hampden and buys the place then renovates it. The SFA clearly wants to retain Hampden but has no money reserves and precious little income. The national team in Scotland is very small cheese and you have to question whether anyone could justify owning a national stadium solely for use by them, instead of investing in the grassroots. Murrayfield makes sense for me all day long. It's there and ready to use. It has greater capacity for those occasions when you struggle to get a ticket to watch your own team in a final. And it doesn't impose a drain on scarce funds within the game.

The only reason I can see for Haughey wanting to invest in Hampden is to establish a financial dependency between the SFA and Celtic (OK even more of a dependency)

There was never any real doubt. The monkeys need their tree to be monkeys in and the SFA needs its castle to posture and preen from, especially as the merger between the SFA and Celtic reaches its inevitable climax.