Europa League discussion

16 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

I hear, and keep hearing, that Villareal is out of form, struggling in  La Liga, not ready for the EL, and, thus, we are 'catching them at the right time'.

Does this remind anyone of the Valencia team, with Mendieta, Claudio Lopez, Kily Gonzalez, and others, which gave us a football lesson over two legs,

in, what, 1999?

I've heard it all before. Back in 99, Valencia were dubbed by great minds of the Scottish press as the "Aberdeen of Spain" as Aberdeen had also been struggling with no wins at the start of that season.  Not only did "the Aberdeen of Spain" teach us a lesson over in Spain, they also topped a group containing Bayern Munich and went all the way to the final in Paris. The 2-1 defeat at Ibrox was a much closer game but Valencia were worthy winners.

49 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

What little evidence we have is that SG is more inclined to go deep and defensive when up against it. The games we played with 10 men or when trying to hold out like at Fir Park, and the overly negative tactics at the piggery would indicate that we are more likely to try to shut up shop until such time as we are no longer level, and try to hit on the break or from a set piece.

Very much so, it's what Villareal will be expecting.

I'd go for an agressive start and try and surprise them.

Back in the day (with better players) we'd sometimes employ this tactic and get some joy (goal), eg. last time we played Villareal, away to Feyenoord.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Thursday is effectively a 'free hit'.

I'd go for the element of surprise, attack and go for a goal in the first 15 to 20 minutes.

I can't see 90 minutes of parking the bus working against a team that has quality middle to front.

Had we had Jack and Ejaria fit, I'd be much more confident of getting a result.

I agree with the free hit theory. We have nothing to lose in this game IMO so why not go out and have a go. I get the feeling we can learn more about the new players/team from that than sitting back for 90 minutes (ala Parkhead in the 1st half)

5 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Aberdeen were sitting dead bottom of the SPL, couldn't buy a result. The Doyen of Scottish football, Sir Shug of Keevins christened Valencia, "the Aberdeen of Spanish football". 

Valencia rattled us 2 zip at the Mistral, then went all the way to the Champions League final.

This righting off of Villarreal stinks of a pre-prepared narrative. 

Funnily enough, one of their players has compared us with Leganes today. The team that Villareal beat on Sunday and who are currently bottom of the La Liga. In effect, he's calling us the 'Leganes of Scotland' :D

He says we are a physical team (lazy stereotype talk for British teams in Spain).

Scroll down for interview with Miguel Layun (in Spanish)

https://www.villarrealcf.es/prensa/prensa/servidor-audiovisual-de-prensa/actualidad

4 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Aberdeen were sitting dead bottom of the SPL, couldn't buy a result. The Doyen of Scottish football, Sir Shug of Keevins christened Valencia, "the Aberdeen of Spanish football". 

Valencia rattled us 2 zip at the Mistral, then went all the way to the Champions League final.

This righting off of Villarreal stinks of a pre-prepared narrative. 

I didn't realise that it was the prating old mountebank, Nuremberg Hugh himself,  who gave Valencia the title  "The Aberdeen of Spain". 

I recall us being pretty confident, for the most part, until shortly after ko at the Mestalla, when it became obvious that we were up against a proper outfit.

Mendieta was outstanding. 

6 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I agree with the free hit theory. We have nothing to lose in this game IMO so why not go out and have a go. I get the feeling we can learn more about the new players/team from that than sitting back for 90 minutes (ala Parkhead in the 1st half)

Difference for me is that we should have more energy in the tank to get up and down the pitch.

The challenge is to do so whilst retaining possession. More especially given our limited midfield options, together with the absence of Morelos, which limits options for how to attack.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Difference for me is that we should have more energy in the tank to get up and down the pitch.

The challenge is to do so whilst retaining possession. More especially given our limited midfield options, together with the absence of Morelos, which limits options for how to attack.

Good points buster. It will be interesting to see if Lafferty plays the lone striker role (like he does for NI sometimes). If so we need play more balls into channels and to feet as opposed to pumping the ball high from the back to relieve pressure.

5 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Good points buster. It will be interesting to see if Lafferty plays the lone striker role (like he does for NI sometimes). If so we need play more balls into channels and to feet as opposed to pumping the ball high from the back to relieve pressure.

Given it's a free hit, I'd go 3-5-2.

5 along the back to defend with three big centre backs packing the penalty area.

If Tav goes up, Barisic stays back and vice versa.

If midfield struggle to pass through Villareal, we'd have the more direct route to Lafferty with Kent close to him so as to support.

If we play Lafferty up front by himself, he'll get isolated and very little will stick long enough for support to reach him.

1 hour ago, Whosthedado said:

Yes mate I definitely read that somewhere too. Obviously not the case!

People were assuming that since both were shown 2 yellows (= 1 red) that they counted as yellows, who were scrapped after the qualifiers. But they were indeed both shown red cards still and miss the first game.

I doubt anyone is writing Villareal off, and I'm sure SG won't anyway. What was said that they were having a bad start to the season, at least resultswise ... but most won't have seen them play in earnest. SG will have them analyzed and I reckon we are in for another Ufa away day. Alas ... the team is more settled now and the defence rather tight.

A 3-5-2 for me ...

McGregor

Goldson - Katic - Worrall

Coulibaly

Tavernier - Candeias - Arfield - Barisic

Kent - Lafferty

... 4-2-3-1

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - Katic - Barisic

Coulibaly - Halliday

Candeias - Arfield - Kent

Lafferty