McCoist "embarrassed" about 2nd place.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=38478

Rangers No2 McCoist "embarrassed" about second-place

May 07, 2007

Rangers assistant boss Ally McCoist says they have nothing to be proud of after second-place was clinched with victory over Celtic on Sunday.

"I'm embarrassed to be talking about finishing second as some kind of achievement," said McCoist. "That's not what Rangers is all about. We have done absolutely nothing this season in the grand scheme of things.

"I had a wee smile on my face when I read about Roy Keane refusing to have an open-top bus parade for Sunderland getting back into the Premiership. He is absolutely spot on. They have won the championship, but Roy doesn't look upon it as anything massive. Likewise, we don't look upon finishing second as a great thing. It was just something we had to do after coming in to the club in January.

"I would be disappointed if the players didn't know that finishing second is not good enough for this club. They do know that, believe me, and they won't be getting carried away. If they had turned in better performances at the start of the season, they could have been enjoying themselves a whole lot more just now. As well as they have done since we came to the club, there is a lot of room for improvement.

"When we took over, the players were getting battered from pillar to post. They were getting stick, a lot of it deserved, for their performances and results. So they do deserve credit for the manner in which they have secured second place, they should be congratulated for that. I have got satisfaction from watching them get the results to get that opportunity to play in the Champions League, which is where Rangers need to be.

"We need to be making a much stronger and more serious challenge next season. That's just the way it is for Rangers, we should be looking to win the majority of competitions we enter every season. There is a cup final at the end of the month which doesn't feature us and that hurts.

"I'm not going to tell our fans to put their money on us winning the league next season, I've got too much respect for Celtic and what they have achieved to do that. But I think there are certainly signs we are capable of putting in a far stronger challenge than we did this season.

"Celtic have been the best team in the country by a mile this season. They thoroughly deserve the championship. But I thought we thoroughly deserved to beat them on Saturday."

Quite a long quote i know, but i think the point Ally's trying to get across is the fact that although we pumped them over the weekend, there's no way we can rest on our laurels and think "job well done - we got 2nd place"

Spot on IMO. Need to get over what happened last weekend, and start rebuilding.

Get some of the youth players some time on the park, start touting the duds in and about the transfer market and try and consolidate the rangers mentality of SECOND IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH within the squad.

the winner's mentality is an absolute pre-requisite for a succesful side. good to see ally knows the importance of it. good to see kb running to him too, shows there is camaradere in the squad.

Guest gerbilly

If only they had been here since the start of the season......like myself, probably most of us were over the moon when PLG agreed to come but that fell on it's arse, I'm just glad we are not leaking goals at a frightening rate anymore and the team seems to be playing for each other again.

I read earlier on that he is trying to install the same spirit in the dressing room as the 9IAR era, and that to me is just as important as having good players in the team.

I remember earlier in the seaons, i think it was Hemdani who said there was a bit of a split in the dressing room between the scots and foreigners and we all know where that got us.

Ally is 100% right on the matter of finishing 2nd, if any player think that that is good enough for Rangers then they are sorely mistaken and shouldnt be at the club.

Its not like tic have a better quality of players at their disposal, they dont, at best we're on a par and should not be as far behind as we have been the past two seasons.

Having said that, i am relieved that we have now cut the points difference down to single figures... and thats a relief i hope i wont have to feel at this time next season.

Spot on Mr McCoist. It's good to have folk in the dressing room that really know what it's like to win for Rangers and who know what it's like to play for the jersey. I know it's a bit of a cliche and I know passion isn't the be all and end all, but a little bit doesn't hurt.

He is right though, we havent won anything except a bit of pride back.

The guys should take a bit of confidence with this unbeaten run and we need to get out of the blocks from the first game next season.