Liverpool fans drool over Kent

7 hours ago, pete said:

You are the one guessing and trying to rewrite history. He had 2 years at Bayern. One good and one bad where he got a lot of criticism and was punted. He hardly got a game for AC . You are dodging Chelsea and Ajax so I am afraid it is you that is talking *****.

Im not guessing im taking the piss out of you for not even knowing he had another bundesligua club. 

So forgive me for not taking your views seriously. 

He was finished with injury when he left us. I will give you that. 

I live in Germany and have always had access to German television even when I stayed in Holland. You have been taking the piss out yourself because I know how his career went in Germany  I saw him playing almost every week  back then as I had no Scottish football I watched German and Dutch. You are not going to say that his time with Uerdingen makes him World class are you? He was a good player and probably great in Scotland. The fact remains outside Scotland and Denmark he was not overly successful. Anyway I will leave it at that and be thankful he played for Rangers.

16 hours ago, ian1964 said:

As good as Kent is, I think young Middleton is every bit as good, potentially.

If Kent hadn't been doing as well as he is I think we might have seen Middleton get more game time?.

Loan players are good as long they do the business, and Kent is doing the business, however I do wonder if Middleton is being held back slightly due to this?.

Potentially is the key word there.  Kent deserves his game time obviously.

Middleton, for me, has potential but isn't yet ready to be trusted continually.  Where Kent is more advanced than Middleton is that he has better defensive discipline (Middleton, when he came on against Motherwell, was literally all over the place) and the big one, for me at least, is his variability (Middleton gets the ball, puts the head down and heads straight for the byeline, constantly.  He needs to work on mixing that up with coming inside every now and then, otherwise he makes himself easy to defend against, aside from his pace).

Middleton has the potential and the talent, I just reckon that SG sees the things I see above and that is partly why he is "bit-part" for now.

I'm surprised at the Brian Laudrup revisionism, I'm also not sure I agree with it. I think it's fair to say Laudrup struggled in Italy, but that was due to a number of factors, the three foreigner rule in particular. He did well in his first season in Florence. Remember that AC Milan side he was in won the league and the European Cup that season. The fact his appearances were largely kept for the European arena rather than the domestic one isn't much of a criticism. 

His Chelsea move was a mistake, one he realised before he joined and tried to get out of whilst still playing for us, you can't judge anyone on 3 months, most of which was spent trying to leave.

Why is his time at Ajax seen as a failure? He was a key player when he was fit, and I'm not sure a career ending injury can be used as a criticism of his time there. 

Brian Laudrup was a world class footballer, anyone with eyes could see that. He wasn't the best player in the world, that's different, and he arguably didn't achieve as much in his career as someone with his ability should have, however he played at a time when football was quite different to it is now, where defenders could tackle from behind with impunity, indeed stiffening the nippy winger was generally accepted as part of the game, full backs were 'allowed' a couple of heavy challenges before being spoken too. In today's more sanitised game Laudrup would be a sensation. Laudrup was unlucky with injuries. Not so much that he experienced more than his contemporaries, rather their timing. After a good first season at Bayern, and a career ending one at Ajax. 

At the same time a largely injury free period at Rangers, at the peak of his powers, allowed him to dominate the game here and provide us with a insight into just how entertaining a footballer can be. 

Ultimately though Laudrup's legacy is his international career. Among average to good Danish players he excelled. Two international tournament wins (for a country with only 5 million people), 82 caps and a final performance, against World Cup runners up Brazil, that showcased just how good a footballer Brian Laudrup was. Find that match on You Tube and watch it, Laudrup should have been in the Brazil side. 

3 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I'm surprised at the Brian Laudrup revisionism, I'm also not sure I agree with it. I think it's fair to say Laudrup struggled in Italy, but that was due to a number of factors, the three foreigner rule in particular. He did well in his first season in Florence. Remember that AC Milan side he was in won the league and the European Cup that season. The fact his appearances were largely kept for the European arena rather than the domestic one isn't much of a criticism. 

His Chelsea move was a mistake, one he realised before he joined and tried to get out of whilst still playing for us, you can't judge anyone on 3 months, most of which was spent trying to leave.

Why is his time at Ajax seen as a failure? He was a key player when he was fit, and I'm not sure a career ending injury can be used as a criticism of his time there. 

Brian Laudrup was a world class footballer, anyone with eyes could see that. He wasn't the best player in the world, that's different, and he arguably didn't achieve as much in his career as someone with his ability should have, however he played at a time when football was quite different to it is now, where defenders could tackle from behind with impunity, indeed stiffening the nippy winger was generally accepted as part of the game, full backs were 'allowed' a couple of heavy challenges before being spoken too. In today's more sanitised game Laudrup would be a sensation. Laudrup was unlucky with injuries. Not so much that he experienced more than his contemporaries, rather their timing. After a good first season at Bayern, and a career ending one at Ajax. 

At the same time a largely injury free period at Rangers, at the peak of his powers, allowed him to dominate the game here and provide us with a insight into just how entertaining a footballer can be. 

Ultimately though Laudrup's legacy is his international career. Among average to good Danish players he excelled. Two international tournament wins (for a country with only 5 million people), 82 caps and a final performance, against World Cup runners up Brazil, that showcased just how good a footballer Brian Laudrup was. Find that match on You Tube and watch it, Laudrup should have been in the Brazil side. 

Laudrup wasn't the best player in the world, but he was the 5th best at one point. He was awarded such anyway. 

He's the best player I have ever seen in person and the best Scottish football has seen during my lifetime at least.

His name being mentioned in this topic is ridiculous.