Ian Durrant Caught Up In Bigotry Storm

11 hours ago, Bill said:

In that case why are you afraid to use the word? It's feniàn.

The board itself regulates the word, not me. The definition and meaning is rather clear, only that it seemingly has been warped to fit an agenda ...

F'enian
Let’s start off with the definition of the word in one of the world’s leading publications on the matter: James MacKillop’s - Oxford Dictionary of Celtic Mythology.

Neologism (DB, i.e. a new meaning for an older word) coined in 1804 by charlatan scholar Col. Charles Vallancey. Although apparently derived from Féni, a name for early, landed freeholders, Vallancey used it as an anglicization for fianna (DB, i.e. "warrior band"). In many 19th century writers, e.g. Sir Walter Scott, F'enian pertains to stories of Fionn mac Cumhaill. The ambiguous reference to both fianna and Fionn persists in the naming of the F'enian Cycle. In 1858 "F'enian" was adopted as an alternate name for the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a secret revolutionary society dedicated to the overthrow of English authority in Ireland. Never fully quashed, F'enian activity in the British Isles and North Amercia peaked in 1866-7. In the 20th century "F'enian" popularly denotes Republican anti-British activity, especially in the six counties of Ulster, still part of the United Kingdom.

Admins, I use the word for reference alone, hence the '

In Ulster it seemingly also means RC, but that is simply another addition to the original meaning ... and the one which most Bears refer to when they voice their contempt for supporters of the F'enians, i.e. IRA and similar terrorists.

NB: Do note the irony that the early terrorist-minded f*cked up their faux-Irishness and used the wrong terminology.

Edited by der Berliner

19 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

The board itself regulates the word, not me. The definition and meaning is rather clear, only that it seemingly has been warped to fit an agenda ...

Admins, I use the word for reference alone, hence the '

In Ulster it seemingly also means RC, but that is simply another addition to the original meaning ... and the one which most Bears refer to when they voice their contempt for supporters of the F'enians, i.e. IRA and similar terrorists.

NB: Do note the irony that the early terrorist-minded f*cked up their faux-Irishness and used the wrong terminology.

I didn't mean to make accusations and sorry if I expressed myself badly. The point is that words are hijacked incessantly to pervert their true meaning and more importantly to prevent their legitimate use. By censoring individual words instead of maintaining their use, we only encourage and perpetuate this tactic of aggressive revisionism. The entire world knows what a fenián is, even those who proudly call themselves feniáns while howling oppression when others do the same. Language always evolves but the deliberate orchestration of language for sectarian advantage isn't evolution but tampering. It means the same in Surrey and Toronto as it does in Blantyre or Belfast.

This board routinely refers to "Tims" but you can bet your life that would quickly be censored too if the Tims decided to be offended by it. Apparently "Dirty Orange Bastard" had been abbreviated to an acronym but, like "hun", hasn't yet managed to achieve offensive status. I approve of this because the censoring of language is much too close to the censoring of thought, which is the point we all might as well walk off a cliff.

Bigotry and sectarianism ... "interesting" article in various papers today about a Glasgow City Council chap whose allegiances cannot / must not be named, so those who don't know him will probably align him with those who usually attributed with "sectarianism" in the papers. Mhedia you say ...

26th October

Russell Robertson accused of shouting sectarian remarks
By Catriona Stewart

A GLASGOW councillor has appeared in court charged with acting in an abusive manner and making sectarian remarks.

The SNP's Russell Robertson, 59, is accused of "behaving in a threatening or abusive manner" at his home on September 2.
He appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court today with his co-accused, David Hara.
The pair, of the same Gartcosh address are charged with acting in an abusive manner, shouting, swearing and making offensive and sectarian remarks.
The charge is said to be aggravated by religious prejudice.
A trial was set for February next year.
Mr Robertson was ordained to appear and while Hara, 28, was bailed.
A Glasgow City Council spokesman confirmed he was aware of the case, but said he could not comment on personal matters.
The SNP press office has also been contacted for comment.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/17010982.russell-robertson-accused-of-shouting-sectarian-remarks/

Just in case, it is him ...

derbvvv.jpg

Not too far away, another article in the same paper tells us of the tragic death of a young chap and in a sudden bout of freedom of press missing above, the ET needs to tell us his football allegiances throughout the  article, another victim card promotion stunt.

James Anderson: Celtic fan who went missing after work night out in Glasgow found dead in River Clyde
A YOUNG Celtic fan who went missing after a night out in Glasgow has been found dead in the River Clyde.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/17009670.james-anderson-celtic-fan-who-went-missing-after-work-night-out-in-glasgow-found-dead-in-river-clyde/

If I were cynical, I'd say that this is planted so it seems like he was killed because of being a Yahoo ... instead of falling into the Clyde being drunk or the like.