Ian Durrant Caught Up In Bigotry Storm

5 minutes ago, barca72 said:

I don't worry about giving them an 'easy way out', I hammer them on a point that is completely indefensible and unanswerable.
If their sensibilities are in any way bruised by the expression of 'F**k the Pope' so be it, their actions, words and message are deeply flawed.

It's nothing to do with their sensibilities, it's about shooting yourself in the foot.

If it makes you feel better, look in a mirror at home and shout FTP all you want (make sure any children aren't filming you) but when you want to challenge the RC church on their part in Industrial scale child rape, better to keep to the point (unless it's in an art form such as a song or painting).

I am with In an that saying FTP does not make you a bigot - it is, however about context.

I firmly believe in FTP, not because I'm a bigot but because he and his church have covered up institutionalized child abuse for generations, centuries even.  And this Pope is actually covering it up too, and trying to sweep it under the carpet of "the devil made them do it".  No, they made those choices themselves.

However, in Durrant's case (and it saddens me as along with Coop and Ally he was probably my first footballing hero, outside of Pat Jennings (I was a budding keeper at one point, till I realized my whole , large extended, family were no taller than 5ft 3... :D )  context is not in his favour.  Could he argue his justification on similar grounds to Ian and I ??  Probably.  Would it be a wafer thin justification ?  More than likely.

I have had the pleasure of chatting to Durrant when at Auchenhowie a couple of times and he is genuinely a nice guy.  He, is however, a footballer and not an intellect.  I am sure he sees the error of his ways and regrets saying it if for no other reason than the West of Scotland media will jump all over him... but will then cosy up to him if he finds a job which gives them a story - they really are lower than a snakes belly.

He really should have known better unfortunately because Rangers certainly "educate" their staff on appropriate songs etc.  So he would have been informed of that when employed by the club.  

It is a sad world though when we are completely up in arms about some word aimed at the leader of a church.... yet barely a word gets said about the institutionalized child abuse that same church seems to be embroiled in on a daily basis.  Its a completely fucked up world we live in.

48 minutes ago, buster. said:

It's nothing to do with their sensibilities, it's about shooting yourself in the foot.

If it makes you feel better, look in a mirror at home and shout FTP all you want (make sure any children aren't filming you) but when you want to challenge the RC church on their part in Industrial scale child rape, better to keep to the point (unless it's in an art form such as a song or painting).

I shall not be 'shooting myself in the foot' nor shall I need a mirror if I wished to utter 'F**k the Pope'. I do not take a position of serf-like obedience and fawning to this hypocrite of a leader of a vile, dangerous and criminal organization.
I shall not be reverential in my approach to pushback against this cult, as you would appear to be recommending.
I want to get their attention and let them know that enough is enough and if 'F**k the Pope' helps towards that end then upwards and onwards.
p.s. Check out the news articles, I know thousands of R.C.s agree with me.

14 minutes ago, barca72 said:

I shall not be 'shooting myself in the foot' nor shall I need a mirror if I wished to utter 'F**k the Pope'. I do not take a position of serf-like obedience and fawning to this hypocrite of a leader of a vile, dangerous and criminal organization.
I shall not be reverential in my approach to pushback against this cult, as you would appear to be recommending.
I want to get their attention and let them know that enough is enough and if 'F**k the Pope' helps towards that end then upwards and onwards.
p.s. Check out the news articles, I know thousands of R.C.s agree with me.

Tell me how it helps ?

24 minutes ago, buster. said:

Tell me how it helps ?

It let's the defenders and supporters of this evil cult know that you have no respect for and indeed revile their esteemed leader.
Who in their right mind can defend their actions?
By the way, whose feelings is it that you are trying to protect by the soft-shoe approach? 

1 hour ago, barca72 said:

It let's the defenders and supporters of this evil cult know that you have no respect for and indeed revile their esteemed leader.
Who in their right mind can defend their actions?
By the way, whose feelings is it that you are trying to protect by the soft-shoe approach? 

You just don't get it, do you ?

Might aswell talk to a brick wall.

3 hours ago, buster. said:

If you want to address the diegraceful issue of industrial scale child rape, then attempt to push those responsible into a corner rather than opening the door for them to leave.

How true.

I steer clear of the phrase myself but there's an extensive list, dating back around 1,700 years, of reasonable arguments against that particular sect of Christianity.  The current pontiff is neither here nor there.

Only in Scotland is anyone ever pulled up for criticising it.  And yet we all pay for its state funded schools, which is one of my main gripes.  

The Romans domesticated and diluted the teachings of Christ to suit their own agenda.

The sheer decadence on display at the Vatican is an abomination.

The Inquisition.

The brutal way the likes of Jan Hus and the Huguenots were dealt with.

Gallileo.

The refusal to translate the Bible, to ensure people remained uneducated and unable to make their own minds up.

A general inclination towards not taking responsibility for one's own actions.

The Nolan Sisters.

The more recent cover ups of horrific industrial scale abuse seems to be ongoing.

I agree with craig and buster that it's best to deal with these things in a coherent and intelligent manner but a supporters bash isn't a likely place to encounter such methods and I won't be losing any sleep over it.

I simply mean fuck him! I believe the Pope and all the Popes before him who covered up child abuse should be in jail for their despicable crimes, the whole world knows yet nothing is done and is still worshipped by his followers, and Governments alike.

I do not like any religion, being a non believer.