[FT] Spartak 4 - 3 Rangers (Eremenko o.g. 5; Candeias 27; Middleton 42)

15 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - Worrall - Halliday

Jack - Coulibaly

Candeias - Ejaria - Middleton

Morelos

If Coulibaly could suddenly get back to early season form that looks fairly good.

4 minutes ago, buster. said:

If Coulibaly could suddenly get back to early season form that looks fairly good.

He probably "suffers" from the constant change in game approach by the opposition. I would say that games like tonight are more to his liking, as there will be more spaces to run into and more open game.

In any case, if it is not him, it would have to be McCrorie, as Arfield is IMHO wasted as a DM.

I am hoping the fact Spartak will need to open up a bit might suit us but, conversely, we may end up consciously sitting too deep (ala Celtic and away at Villarreal) which isn't really playing to our strengths.

As much as they're a good team, we need to try to play as far up the park as we can and counter effectively; maintaining possession and using the ball well is a must to avoid being put under pressure. 

Just now, Frankie said:

I am hoping the fact Spartak will need to open up a bit might suit us but, conversely, we may end up consciously sitting too deep (ala Celtic and away at Villarreal) which isn't really playing to our strengths.

As much as they're a good team, we need to try to play as far up the park as we can and counter effectively.  maintaining possession and using the ball well is a must to avoid being put under pressure. 

In this type of match we've often struggled to move the ball through the midfield, lost it and as you say, regrouped in a deep formation.

Unless someone is close to Morelos, the long ball is a waste of time.

These types of game just tend to be difficult due to the opposition being decent.

24 minutes ago, buster. said:

In this type of match we've often struggled to move the ball through the midfield, lost it and as you say, regrouped in a deep formation.

Unless someone is close to Morelos, the long ball is a waste of time.

These types of game just tend to be difficult due to the opposition being decent.

I would trial Middleton, Morelos and Candeias in a trident formation, with Ejaria the main creative ball distributor. The latter needs to cut out doing it all too fancy though. Quick balls behind their defense for the three-some to chase. Big job for Jack and Coulibaly taking the pressure off the defenders ... and that mainly refers to getting the ball and distributing it. It is grim stuff of the highest order to see Worrall and Goldson being those who have to play the ball up the park and start moves.

I hope I'm wrong but I think this will prove a challenge too far at this stage of rebuilding. The best I'm expecting is a competitive showing and heads held high on return. Spartak looked a good side at Ibrox, hard to break down, and we seem to have completely lost our counter attacking confidence. We'll see.

Like Ian, I'm disappointed not to have RTV coverage, the only match reporting that doesn't include making Rangers look bad.