[FT] Spartak 4 - 3 Rangers (Eremenko o.g. 5; Candeias 27; Middleton 42)

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

[Preview to follow]

Barisic, Kent and Lafferty all out injured: Kent out for at least the next two weeks with a hamstring problem.

I’m glad Middleton and Grezda will get a chance to establish themselves, I’m not a Kent fan. I think Middleton’s style very much suits playing away from home too because we will be set up to counter attack and there will be acres of space in behind the full back. Hope he gets the nod. 

12 hours ago, DMAA said:

I’m glad Middleton and Grezda will get a chance to establish themselves, I’m not a Kent fan. I think Middleton’s style very much suits playing away from home too because we will be set up to counter attack and there will be acres of space in behind the full back. Hope he gets the nod. 

Isn't it strange how we can watch the same matches and yet have completely differing opinions?!  For me, Kent and Morelos are our two best players, and by some distance.  Kent is such an attacking threat, and is an excellent role model for Middleton, because he is disciplined at defending and varies his attack.  Middleton is a very good prospect, but I don't rate him anywhere near Kent at the moment.  His movement is too one-dimensional for me.  He is fast and if given the opportunity he will exploit that pace down the wing, but against better quality players he just won't get that opportunity.  I obviously hope he plays a blinder tonight and then gives the manager some tough decisions, but for me Middleton still has a long way to go before he dislodges Kent from the team.

16 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Isn't it strange how we can watch the same matches and yet have completely differing opinions?!  For me, Kent and Morelos are our two best players, and by some distance.  Kent is such an attacking threat, and is an excellent role model for Middleton, because he is disciplined at defending and varies his attack.  Middleton is a very good prospect, but I don't rate him anywhere near Kent at the moment.  His movement is too one-dimensional for me.  He is fast and if given the opportunity he will exploit that pace down the wing, but against better quality players he just won't get that opportunity.  I obviously hope he plays a blinder tonight and then gives the manager some tough decisions, but for me Middleton still has a long way to go before he dislodges Kent from the team.

The important point for me is that the management team are obviously of the same mind as you.

They obviously fully trust Kent to carry out instructions and show reluctance to give Middleton much more than 10-15 minutes.

I doubt Middleton will start tonight and tbh I don't think Grezda is up to it yet. Some might say the League is more important and give the Albanian gametime but I don't think we are treating the EL in this fashion.

You'd think we'll keep the same 'Euro Away'  shape given results thus far (points to Grezda) but yet again, we await the team line-up with uncertainty,....something that makes achieving a decent consistency of result more difficult.

Edited by buster.

Alternative way to go that won't happen (had Barisic been fit it would be a better option)

5 at the back but with some flexibility that allows a player to move up when opportunity presents itself (especially Tav)

Problem would be getting quality ball to DC and AM and supporting.

.....................................................................................McGregor

.................................................Tav          McAuley        Goldson       Worrall       Flanagan

................................................                         Jack                            Halliday

...............................................................................           Ejaria

...........................................................Candeias

..................................................................                                     Morelos

Edited by buster.

Had a look at the training picture and SG's comments.

I doubt we will go 3-1-4-1 or the like, not least with Katic not having played that much and McAuley just back from injury. That said, SG threw Worrall into the deep water in Villareal. Will we see the vastly experienced McAuley flanked by Goldson and Worrall?

More probably a 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 with Flanagan on the left ... and a possible switch to 3-at-the-back if Tav ventures forward. We might go "extremely" defensive with Flanagan - Goldson - Worrall - Halliday, and Tavernier stepping into right MF and the option to step back into defense (but more freedom to attack).

Halliday has done a good job at left-back / left/defensive MF. I would assume he keeps that job at the expense of Flanagan (in a 4-man defence).

Defensive Midfield ... no doubt that Jack will be there, and possibly Coulibaly too. Destroyers, ball winners and the latter the job to go forward.

Further up the park ... if Ejaria is fit, he'll play. It is probably that simple. Candeias on the right is a given too, so that leaves only the left wing slot open. SG might go for experience and sends Arfield there, or creativity in Grezda or pace and direct play in Middleton. THAT is the problem when you shoe-horn one player into that slot no matter what - i.e. Kent - and keep him on longer and more often than necessary. The rest lacks competitive action there.

For the surprise I'd go with Middleton. Bags of pace, willingness and directness ...

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - Worrall - Halliday

Jack - Coulibaly

Candeias - Ejaria - Middleton

Morelos

Edited by der Berliner