Heard the son saying he was thinking of getting the grandsons new footie boots for Christmas over a hundred pound a pair,  total waste if you ask me so what kind of boots did you wear me it was top dog continental from the local coop at twenty-four and six a pair .

My Dad occasionally mentioned that back in his day Xmas presents were sparse and fresh fruit was sometimes prominent.

It didn't stop him and his brothers from putting in the hours playing fitbaw. There were always places they could play (that didn't cost money) and kit was the least of their worries. Those hours enabled one of the brothers to go on and play for Scotland at a WC Finals (1954).

Progress had been made since those days (not Scottish fitbaw) but it's now regression for the ordinary guy and the progress tends to be corporate.

100 pounds for a pair of kids football boots says a lot about where we are.

26 minutes ago, buster. said:

My Dad occasionally mentioned that back in his day Xmas presents were sparse and fresh fruit was sometimes prominent.

It didn't stop him and his brothers from putting in the hours playing fitbaw. There were always places they could play (that didn't cost money) and kit was the least of their worries. Those hours enabled one of the brothers to go on and play for Scotland at a WC Finals (1954).

Progress had been made since those days (not Scottish fitbaw) but it's now regression for the ordinary guy and the progress tends to be corporate.

100 pounds for a pair of kids football boots says a lot about where we are.

Makes me glad that my wee boy has zero interest in football...

3 hours ago, compo said:

Heard the son saying he was thinking of getting the grandsons new footie boots for Christmas over a hundred pound a pair,  total waste if you ask me so what kind of boots did you wear me it was top dog continental from the local coop at twenty-four and six a pair .

At 100 quid a pair they are probably reasonably "cheap"...… Boots are astronomical in price these days - the latest pair I got my kid were 250 quid.

He used to ask for the latest designs almost once a month.  Thankfully he has matured a little and understands the value of money a little bit more (not by that much clearly at 250 quid a pair) and will use one pair of boots until his toes are ready to poke holes in the tops of the boots.

My first boots were Patrick Kevin Keegan - absolutely loved those boots - lost them after a game one day when it was mud up to the knees.  Took the boots off at the back door of the car and left them laying on the ground outside the car.  Was gutted.  Went from those to Puma Kenny Dalglish, loved those boots too.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

540x360.jpg

Those brought back memories.

I remember when i asked for a new pair a footy boots my Grandad said he had an old pair i could use, he produced a pair similar to the above.

No way was i wearing those but he did finally buy me a pair of addidas summit or others.

I did have a pair of George Best black and burgundy lace up the side before that though and my mate had a pair of Alan Ball white boots that has rotating studs meant to prevent you from twisting your ankle when turning.

My lad and me often have a kick about in the garden.  I got him a pair of boots for £20.  I was rubbish at football, so never bothered with boots.

It's easy to say 'No!' to overly expensive items when you're a tight git.  

Our leagues are full of players who started out with nothing.  A pair of boots doesn't make you into a good footballer.