Celtic may turn down Ibrox tickets

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I wouldn't bet on it. I imagine their ego will see them arrange some kind of event to grab the headlines and show they don't care. A Palestine Rally at Parkhead perhaps. Or a paedophiles' congress.

A meeting at a certain pub on Govan Road perhaps??

6 hours ago, ian1964 said:

It must be easier for Plod having a lot less of them attend Ibrox?

I don't know. Remember that plod recommended to GCC that they couldn't handle the protection for a 50-man OO Remembrance parade going up the Calton, and that it should be re-routed.

I think Liewell is correct in refusing tickets. After all, Stephen Thomson  had to sit with the DU fans when last he visited Ibrox.

Make you boke, eh?

Edited by barca72

22 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

Guidi and Duffy were presenting their financial propaganda last night on phone in. Duffy reminding us their contribution to the Scottish economy was invaluable and fantastic. Sickening sycophancy at its glaringly obvious.

"Inaccurate" - Celtic's claim about value of golf tourism to Scotland dismissed

Claims made in a report released yesterday by Celtic Football Club about the value of golf tourism to Scotland's economy have been dismissed by tourism officials.

A new independent report, prepared by the Fraser of Allander Institute, revealed that the spending of Celtic and their supporters was worth £165m in 2016/17 to the Scottish economy, helping to support the equivalent of 2,820 full-time equivalent jobs in Scotland.

To illustrate the scale of this contribution, the report noted that “other studies have estimated golf tourism’s contribution to Scotland’s GDP is around £155million each year”.

A national newspaper subsequently carried the headline "Celtic 'worth more to Scots economy than golf'" on its front page today.

However, in a statement provided to bunkered.co.uk, that claim has been rejected by a key golf official at VisitScotland, the national tourism agency for Scotland.

“Our industry is continuing to work hard towards achieving an industry ambition of growing the value of golf tourism to Scotland to more than £300m by 2020, and with great collaboration and significant highlights in the coming years, including next year’s Solheim Cup at Gleneagles, we are confident of reaching this ambitious target,” said Alan Grant, Senior Golf Manager at VisitScotland

“The figures produced by Celtic are certainly encouraging for growing tourism to Scotland and highlights that the impact of tourism spreads far and wide.

"However, the figures quoted in the press activity over recent days in relation to golf tourism are inaccurate.

“In its widest sense, the golf industry in Scotland is worth in excess of £1.1bn annually, supporting more than 20,000 jobs. This underlines Scotland’s position as the Home of Golf and outlines the key contribution the industry makes to the Scottish economy."

http://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/inaccurate-celtics-claims-about-value-of-golf-tourism-to-scotland-dismissed

43 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

"Inaccurate" - Celtic's claim about value of golf tourism to Scotland dismissed

Claims made in a report released yesterday by Celtic Football Club about the value of golf tourism to Scotland's economy have been dismissed by tourism officials.

A new independent report, prepared by the Fraser of Allander Institute, revealed that the spending of Celtic and their supporters was worth £165m in 2016/17 to the Scottish economy, helping to support the equivalent of 2,820 full-time equivalent jobs in Scotland.

To illustrate the scale of this contribution, the report noted that “other studies have estimated golf tourism’s contribution to Scotland’s GDP is around £155million each year”.

A national newspaper subsequently carried the headline "Celtic 'worth more to Scots economy than golf'" on its front page today.

However, in a statement provided to bunkered.co.uk, that claim has been rejected by a key golf official at VisitScotland, the national tourism agency for Scotland.

“Our industry is continuing to work hard towards achieving an industry ambition of growing the value of golf tourism to Scotland to more than £300m by 2020, and with great collaboration and significant highlights in the coming years, including next year’s Solheim Cup at Gleneagles, we are confident of reaching this ambitious target,” said Alan Grant, Senior Golf Manager at VisitScotland

“The figures produced by Celtic are certainly encouraging for growing tourism to Scotland and highlights that the impact of tourism spreads far and wide.

"However, the figures quoted in the press activity over recent days in relation to golf tourism are inaccurate.

“In its widest sense, the golf industry in Scotland is worth in excess of £1.1bn annually, supporting more than 20,000 jobs. This underlines Scotland’s position as the Home of Golf and outlines the key contribution the industry makes to the Scottish economy."

http://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/inaccurate-celtics-claims-about-value-of-golf-tourism-to-scotland-dismissed

Most of their lies are easily debunked.

Michael McEwan should be concerned for his windows.

Celtic commission the Fraser of Allander to provide a report on their contribution to the local economy, and the F of A conclude ra green'n'grey contribute gazillions. Instead of calling it out for what it is ie mutual masturbation; the likes of BBC Scotland's Chris McLaughlin and the Herald's/Evening Times Alison McConnell plaster the pysh as a main headline, well Peter told them to do so! Peter also told GCC Convener, Susan Aitken he wanted a meeting on the back of the report, maybe there's another three streets for a penny deal going down soonest?

I wonder if Fraser of Allander will accept my commission, to report on the amount ra Sellik drain from the Irish economy?

Derek Johnstone: If 800 Rangers fans can go to Parkhead safely, then Celtic fans can go to Ibrox without any fears

CELTIC have had plenty of time to make public any concerns they have for their supporters at the Old Firm game at Ibrox next month.

So I am not sure why it has taken them until now to make this an issue.

Peter Lawwell told shareholders at their AGM on Wednesday that they could decline their allocation for the Premiership fixture on Saturday December 29 if they feel it “isn’t a safe environment” for their fans.

But with the same number of police at the game and fewer Celtic fans to control, surely this should be the safest they have been at an Old Firm game for quite some time?

The police and stewards will handle their entry to the stadium and the fans will be kept apart and, at the end of the game, they will be asked to stay behind, like the Rangers supporters were at Parkhead earlier in the season.

Rangers had their allocation cut for that game and there were only 700 or 800 there.

I know there were issues outside the ground with Celtic fans, but the police will have measures in place to ensure there is no repeat at Ibrox.

I don’t know what Celtic are thinking here and why they are saying their fans won’t be safe at Ibrox. They won’t be any different from any other fans that sit in that section between the Sandy Jardine Stand and the Broomloan.

Celtic weren’t happy in the first place that they weren’t getting their usual 7000 allocation behind the goal and I don’t know if they are trying to get that changed again.

But I would have thought if there are more police looking after fewer people then they shouldn’t have any concerns over their safety. They should feel as safe as they have ever felt.

Rangers didn’t take the decision to cut Celtic’s allocation lightly and it would have been made knowing that the arrangements for all supporters getting in and out of Ibrox would need to be looked at.

So why are Celtic raising these concerns publicly now rather than at the time? I don’t think there is anything in it
at all.

There was a wee bit of a stooshie when this all came out a few months ago but if Celtic were that unhappy they could have gone to the SPFL and said, ‘We are not happy about this, so what can we do about it?’ But it is a headline from the AGM now.

Rangers knew what would happen when they cut Celtic’s allocation and that was fine with them because they were looking after their own fans for the games at Ibrox.

Back in my day, you had the whole of an end and there were 25,000 there. That was the good old days.

It is different now, though, and when you have people wanting to buy season tickets and seats for every match, you have to accommodate them as best you can.

Rangers fans who buy their season books now get the Old Firm games included and they had to look after their own supporters first and foremost. That is what every club does.

If Rangers fans can go there with 60,000 Celtic supporters around them, then why can’t Celtic fans come to Ibrox with 50,000 there? I don’t see the problem at all.

If you are a Celtic fan, you will still try and get a ticket for that game and you will want to be one of the several hundred that are at Ibrox that day.

The tickets for the away end will be like gold dust and they will feel as safe as they did when there were 7000 there.

If you are a fan, you will want to be there because it is a huge game at the end of a really important run.

Rangers had the same demand for tickets for the first derby of the season even though there was only a fraction of the tickets available and it will be the same for Celtic this time.

They have known for a couple of months what was going to happen at Ibrox for that game and I don’t think they should have any concerns for the second Old Firm fixture of the season.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/17241633.derek-johnstone-if-800-rangers-fans-can-go-to-parkhead-safely-then-celtic-fans-can-go-to-ibrox-without-any-fears/