Celtic and Rangers face lap of honour crackdown

Celtic and Rangers face lap of honour crackdown as cop report claims Hoops' joy sparked fan rammy

A police internal memo said there was 'a clear link between actions of Celtic players and subsequent response of the Rangers fans' after the Hoops 1-0 win in September.

Police have called for a crackdown on players doing laps of honour at Old Firm matches.

A senior officer said Celtic’s “celebrations on the pitch” following their 1-0 home win in September had incited a violent reaction from Rangers supporters and “inflamed an already delicate situation”.

As the Hoops did their victory lap, some Gers supporters surged forward to get on the pitch, knocking over wheelchair users in the chaos that ensued.

In an internal police memo following the powderkeg match at Celtic Park on September 2, a crackdown on such “post-match celebrations on the pitch” was suggested.

Recommendations

● A crackdown on Celtic and Rangers players doing a lap of honour after Old Firm games.

● Staggered cordons at Janefield Street, where fans were crushed, for Old Firm games.

● A review of away support numbers and segregation arrangements for future games.

● A review of holdback, as Rangers fans being held back after the match was identified as an issue at the September game.

The superintendent’s memo to match day officers said: “I am firmly of the view that there is a clear link between the actions of the Celtic players (which immediately inflamed an already delicate situation) and subsequent response of the Rangers fans.”

The match, which Celtic won 1-0, was also marred by a terrifying crush before kick-off that resulted in five Hoops fans being injured near the Janefield Street entrance.

Internal police documents about the game have been released under Freedom of Information laws.

The briefing paper identifies “future learning” to include “liaison with clubs regarding post-match
celebrations on pitch”.

Other suggestions for policing future Old Firm clashes include:

● Staggered cordons at Janefield Street.

● A review of away support numbers and segregation arrangements.

● A review of holdback arrangements for fans.

The name of the superintendent who wrote the internal memo was redacted in the documents.

He noted that Celtic players had been briefed on safety the day before the match and a lap of honour was never discussed.

The officer also said holding Rangers fans back in the stadium after the match contributed to the disorder.

He wrote: “Had I known about the Celtic team lap of honour, I would have suggested that the plan would be to release the Rangers fans first, if we had a Celtic win.

“As it was, as the Rangers fans had already been informed of the holdback, not many were actually making concerted efforts to leave so the timings to change the cordons etc round and deliver comms and messages were too tight.”

The officer provided an extract from the command team debrief from the match, which refers to the holdback of Rangers fans.

The debrief states: “Celtic team lap of honour was not helpful as Celtic fans did not leave. The team coming to the south-east corner was a clear flashpoint for the Rangers fans.

“Apparently in direct response to player behaviour, crowd surged forward down on to the platform and over the wheelchair users. Increased aggression towards police broke through holdback at vomitories.”

The officer said that consideration should be given to restricting the number of Celtic fans in the east stand at Celtic Park if Rangers fan numbers are as low as 800 when the fixture repeats.

A sell-out 60,000 fans attended the match but Rangers’ allocation was cut to 800 after the Ibrox club slashed the Celtic allocation at a previous fixture.

In a report after the game, match commander Superintendent Carol McGuire noted that 500 Green Brigade members had marched to Celtic Park and there was a crush at Janefield Street.

She added: “At the end of the match, Rangers supporters were held back.

“Celtic players did a lap of the pitch before stopping in front of the Rangers supporters and celebrating, which incensed Rangers supporters.

“Public order officers intervened to prevent disorder and them entering the pitch.

“Celtic supporters tried to engage with Rangers supporters leaving the stadium but were prevented by police officers.”

Glasgow MSP James Kelly said: “Whether it is the celebration of a goal or winning a match, players should be respectful of opposition fans.”

Celtic are considering turning down their allocation of tickets for next month’s derby tie at Ibrox if Rangers can’t guarantee the safety of their 800 fans.

The club are understood to be looking for guarantees from Rangers and police that visiting supporters will have a safe passage as they make their way to the corner section between the stands on December 29.

Last night, Celtic declined to comment on a possible crackdown on laps of honour.

No one from Rangers was available to respond.

Police Scotland said it was not possible to provide a response when contacted yesterday.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-rangers-face-lap-honour-13644875

15 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I am wondering if this is part of a plan by the scum to address the ticket allocation?

Celtic asking for safety assurances certainly. The Police reporting the lap of honour and letting Rangers fans leave first is common sense. I think the away supporters when needed should always be released first as letting the largest group go first just gives them a chance to set up ambushes. Teams could put on some entertainment for 15 minutes until the away crowd is away.

I will also admit that I was pretty surprised to see the Killie supporters being released to walk down to to the Copeland Road, past the Subway crowd and turn right at Loudens bar. I don't know if that will be the Celtic route but it will be a powder keg moment. At the Grolsch Veste(FC Twente) the entrance to the away end is all fenced off and only the opposing supporters buses are allowed to enter. I would think that is a better idea for high risk games.

2 hours ago, pete said:

. I think the away supporters when needed should always be released first as letting the largest group go first just gives them a chance to set up ambushes. Teams could put on some entertainment for 15 minutes until the away crowd is away.

That's totally impractical. Are they going to lock all the gates at Ibrox and stop 50.000 trying to leave? Think of the crush that would cause. 

Entertainment? Seriously?

Just now, Bluedell said:

That's totally impractical. Are they going to lock all the gates at Ibrox and stop 50.000 trying to leave? Think of the crush that would cause. 

Entertainment? Seriously?

Why would it cause a crush if fans know they can't leave and need to stay in their seats?  I am not sure why you think entertainment is so stupid they could have youth players playing a game or something. If the away end is cleared they could let the players back on for their round of honour. Is leaving before the end or shortly after such a necessity these days.

Holding fans back is a good idea in principle but to me makes no sense as anyone who is going to be looking for confrontation will await their "rivals" anyway.

Stopping the goading of rival teams fans by players certainly should be stopped but players going to their own fans to me is acceptable.