Karanka may want Worrall back

Aitor Karanka admits it will be a "problem" for Nottingham Forest if Michael Dawson’s injury proves to be a serious one.

The defender limped off late in the 2-0 win over Ipswich with a hamstring problem, and Karanka says it is unclear how long the 35-year-old will be sidelined.

With Danny Fox already recovering from a foot injury and Tobias Figueiredo still having two matches of a three-game ban to serve, it could leave Forest with a headache.

Jack Robinson has plenty of experience of playing in the centre and moved alongside Michael Hefele to good effect in the final stages, with Ben Osborn coming off the bench to play at left-back

But Hefele and Robinson could be Forest’s only two experienced central defensive options when Preston visit next weekend

“I do not know how serious it is. It might be a hamstring problem, but we do not know how bad it is,” said Karanka. “If it is serious; if he is out for more than a week or two, it will be a problem.

But today Jack Robinson moved into the centre and we have other players to play.”

Forest also have Joe Worrall out on a season-long loan at Glasgow Rangers, but it is unclear whether he could be recalled in January.

“I do not know if we can recall him. I need to check what the terms of the contract are,” said Karanka.

Worrall is a good young player and he has done well for us, my view on loan signings is if they improve the team and we get them on at least a season long loan then it is worth bringing them in, however I do feel Katic is missing out because of Worral and Katic is our player so in this instance I would rather see Katic playing than Worrall.

• Frankie changed the title to Karanka may want Worrall back
3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'd prefer to see Katic playing regularly.  I know he's looked rusty since the injury but him and Goldson should be our CB pairing for the next few seasons.

Katic is not even a sub these days. Something is seriously wrong there.

8 minutes ago, pete said:

Katic is not even a sub these days. Something is seriously wrong there.

It does look like it.  Hopefully whatever it is can get sorted, as he looked a good defender in those first few matches.

Katic’s confidence has gone. Going to be very difficult to get back into the team now McAuley is match fit along with Goldson & Worral.

We might need to consider putting him out on loan somewhere in January to get game time & he’ll get his confidence back

If Katic is so fragile that his confidence can be so easily damaged, we might as well just sell him.  However, I don't get any suggestion or see any evidence that this is the case.  It looks to me like he's just returned after an injury and needs to gain match sharpness before he can get back into the team.  The problem for him isn't a lack of confidence (as far as I am aware), but rather some solid displays by his team mates currently occupying his role.  If he's got any sense he will appreciate that the team is winning so he just has to keep working hard and he will get his chance.