Union Bears statement

21 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

A valid view, albeit one I don't totally agree with.

They look on themselves as being ultras and therefore there's going to be bits of it that you (and I) don't like. We don't have to like it all. They're not a group that has to be all things to all people.  However where their actions are making headline news and the club are asking for them (albeit not specifically) to cut out specific songs then they should listen if they want co-operation.

Why would anyone like it? The term "Ultras" shouldn't be used as any kind of get out for the sinister aspect of their protests. In footballing terms it's a hugely negative thing IMO. "Ultras" need to grow up. There are countless and more positive ways to display your affection and support for a football team than simply copying and pasting a dated and ridiculous masquerade from the darker aspects of footballing fandom. 

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

As Bluedell says the style and fashions of the 'young' are for them to decide, there would be something wrong with them if someone closing in on half a century like me could relate far less approved. 

Great post by Tannochside Bear. I'm also firmly against 'safe' standing and glad it's been rejected by the club. 

The UBs ironically hold the key to solving the problem of the dark side of the songbook. Surely the club could grant them some privileges on the basis of an agreed set of rules, with basically a type of strict liability. The UBs are in a unique position in that they largely dictate what is sung in the stadium, the club should be using that to their advantage surely. 

Edited by DMAA

36 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

The reason for the club not moving them to BF3 has been well known and discussed for many years. I myself when on the Working Group committee back in 2010-11 spoke to David Martin (head of security at the club) at some length to get UB moved to BF3. The reason is the sight lines for those in the areas beside them. If you are in BF2 or BF4 and wish to watch the match from the comfort of your seat, you cannot see a large area of the pitch due to the UB standing in BF3. This is why they are in BF1, it is the only area where them standing doesnt affect the sight lines of other fans in neighbouring sections. The club turn a blind eye to them standing throughout the game in contravention of the ground rules.

I havent been in the loop on this issue since the WG stood down in 2012, but I cant see that the argument has changed a bit as the fact remains the same. UB can move to BF3 if they sit down, which goes against everything they are about so they have to remain at the end of the stand where they dont disrupt everyone else.

There seems to be a suggestion that the club has actively been discussing the move with them over a number of months. It seems strange that it's taken them this long to reach this decision if the rationale is as straightforward as you've highlighted. I guess it could be because there's been a staff changeover since then but it seems to be a straightforward reason.

Tannochsidebear has explained the situation perfectly, the club would be creating a major problem for itself if UB were in the centre  section of BF. How many members does UB have? Last night when there was singing only the first 8 or so rows in BF1 seemed to be in the huff.

11 minutes ago, DMAA said:

@JohnMc @Tannochsidebear 

What are the arguments against safe standing?

Well I don't trust Glasgow Council who'd be issuing the Safety Certificate, I don't trust Police Scotland who'd are ultimately responsible for public safety and policing of events and, in truth, I don't trust any football club to put safety over money, not even ours. As you know 66 people didn't come home from one of our matches, it wasn't the first time either. Our ground has been one of the safest in the country since then, I can think of no good reason to start reversing that. 

I'm sure when it was first opened it would be pristine and well regulated and under scrutiny, but after a few years it would become part of the furniture, and if money got tight maybe they could do the barrier work every other year, it'll be fine, and perhaps we could fit a few more fans in there and so on. 

I was brought up on terraces and I saw the worst of them first hand. I don't welcome them back.