downsizing gone mad...

Like I said, with 8M to spend, we can't blow over half of it on a top class keeper when we have one that has performed as well as any in the league.

I think our record of keeper signings in the last 20 years, along with good goalkeeping coaches has finally resulted in us producing some of the best goalies around. MacGregor is the best of that bunch and has done nothing to suggest he won't be a great stopper.

In my opinion he's been better than Waterreus and Letizi and hasn't made the recent gaffs that Klos has.

I also think if we brought in a number 1, MacGregor would be off, meaning searching for another number 2 as well.

I definitely think we need some new 1st choice players, but the goalkeeper is probably the least of our worries in that department.

Other than a backup keeper, we need 1st choice Left and right midfielders, a backup creative midfielder, another striker and some backup at both full backs. All these seem more important to me.

That would give a squad of:

MacGregor/Other/Robinson

Hutton/Other/Lowing

Weir/Papac/Ehiogu

Webster/Svensson/Broadfoot

Smith/Other/Murray

Other/Novo/Burke

Ferguson/Other/Furman

Hemdani/Thomson/Shinnie

Other(McCulloch?)/Adam

Darcheville/Sebo/Gow

Boyd/Other(Naismith?)/Lennon

That's 3 players for almost every place and the chance to shuffle a few too.

It means saying goodbye to Klos, Sionko, Rae, Buffel, Prso.

What Rangers will never do, is sign average SPL players, and Rangers will NEVER be an average SPL team.

Rangers are signing the best players from the SPL which guarantees we will be well above average in Scotland. Whether that is enough to win the league or compete in the CL is another matter.

What Rangers will never do, is sign average SPL players, and Rangers will NEVER be an average SPL team.

Rangers are signing the best players from the SPL which guarantees we will be well above average in Scotland. Whether that is enough to win the league or compete in the CL is another matter.

Im confused by this statment Cal.

Of course we have signed average SPL players. What do you call Rae, Broadfoot, Gow, Kenny Miller (1st time), Alan Johnson, Paul Ritchie, Gary Bollan, Alec Cleland, Fraser Wishart to name a few.

So how can you say we will NEVER sign average players but then doubt whether its enough to win the league or compete in the CL or not.

The proof is in the pudding - we just have to look at the last 2 seasons and the side has been so average its unbelievable.

Yes, we are signing the best Falkirk and St Mirren can offer but they are the best of a terribly bad bunch.

Last 2 seasons - 3rd and 2nd out of 12 - well above average.

Last 16 of CL and UEFA. Well above average for Rangers.

Above average players means you should finish 6th or higher, but it does not guarantee you'll finish first or do well outside the SPL.

The proof of the pudding pretty much shows we're well above average...

All of the players you mention were above average, some of them not much above average but above, nevertheless.

BTW Gow is second top for assists in the league, Naismith is second top scorer. Hardly average sounding to me.

Unless you take a different meaning of "average" than most. I usually think of the "mean" or "median".

I think Naismith (if he signs) will be a really good signing as long as he is not used as a bit part player. He has shown that he can stand up to any team in the SPL and its time for him to step up a notch.

I didnt realise that about Gow either, pretty good going considering the team he was playing for.

For the past few years ive been pretty optimistic during pre-season and although it isnt here yet and we dont know who is staying/going/coming in im not feeling too optimistic thus far.

The last two games were horrible with no heart in it at all, of course there was nothing to play for championship-wise but that doesnt really help the people who have paid to watch the match.

Dont really know where im going with this, maybe a little off topic, sorry. :D

Above average players means you should finish 6th or higher, but it does not guarantee you'll finish first or do well outside the SPL.

The proof of the pudding pretty much shows we're well above average...

All of the players you mention were above average, some of them not much above average but above, nevertheless.

BTW Gow is second top for assists in the league, Naismith is second top scorer. Hardly average sounding to me.

Unless you take a different meaning of "average" than most. I usually think of the "mean" or "median".

During this season we had spells in joint 6th in the league and we have played dreadful football at times.

Considering our resources compared to the average clubs we were always going to finish 2nd and the reason for that is we do have 3 or 4 players who make the difference who are above average SPL standard.

But If you take those players who make a difference - Weir, Hutton, Ferguson, Hemdani and Prso out that squad and replace them with average SPL players Broadfoot (St Mirren now Gers) Stuart Duff (Dundee Utd) M Sylla (Killie) Gow (Falkirk now Gers) Scott McDonald ('Well now Celtic), do you honestly think we would have finished 2nd and closed the gap on Celtic?

I think buying a keeper who is significantly better than AM and with a proven track record will cost a fair chunk of whatever transfer budget we have. That person will also expect to be number one, so AM will move on. Besides, does anyone think we could attract a really top keeper to Ibrox just now, let alone pay for him?

AM has a LOT of years in front of him and did a pretty decent job this year, even more encouraging given that for half the season he had to do it with a pile of shit in front of him.

With a better defence he shouldn't need to be called upon as often - who knows whether he will have the concentration to cope with that the way that Goram and Klos could - it is much different having to stop shots regularly (1st half of season) and having to make maybe one good stop a game (Goram and Klos when they had a much higher standard of defender in front of them).

AM has a LOT of years in front of him and did a pretty decent job this year, even more encouraging given that for half the season he had to do it with a pile of shit in front of him.

With a better defence he shouldn't need to be called upon as often - who knows whether he will have the concentration to cope with that the way that Goram and Klos could - it is much different having to stop shots regularly (1st half of season) and having to make maybe one good stop a game (Goram and Klos when they had a much higher standard of defender in front of them).

Yep, sign of a good keeper. And Am did that in the final OF with the one real save he had to make v Nakamura early in the second half. However, that was one game and we need to see if the concentration of a really top class keeper is soemthing he will show in the majority of games.

During this season we had spells in joint 6th in the league and we have played dreadful football at times.

But If you take those players who make a difference - Weir, Hutton, Ferguson, Hemdani and Prso out that squad and replace them with average SPL players Broadfoot (St Mirren now Gers) Stuart Duff (Dundee Utd) M Sylla (Killie) Gow (Falkirk now Gers) Scott McDonald ('Well now Celtic), do you honestly think we would have finished 2nd and closed the gap on Celtic?

Fantastic point - we need quality and the names above (and those that we have signed) may turn into great players, but they are not what is required to transform us into a great (and winning) team.

Sign enough run of the mill SPL players and we'll turn into a run of the mill SPL team....

Cammy F

League Cup - Out at home to Div 1 team St Johnstone.

Scottish Cup 3rd round - Out to relegated Dunfermline.

Well below average for Rangers