Gerrard wants "23/24" players competing. Who drops out?

In a recent interview with the manager he said he wants 23/24 players competing.  He indicated also that there may be one or two more incoming before the end of the window, and that others will be moved out.  Given that we have a squad with over 30 players this won't come as a surprise, but what might surprise some is the scale of the decisions he is going to have to make to reduce it to his target number.  Even if we take out the expected leavers (either on loan or permanent) such as Lafferty, Grezda, Middleton, Dorrans, etc, we still have 27 players currently.  If we do sign another two it means that at least 5 from the following list will be moved out if possible.

GK (4):  McGregor, Firth, Fods, Alnwick

Defenders (9): Tav, Edmundson, Helander, Goldson, Flanagan, Katic, Polster, Halliday and Barisic

Midfielders (12):  Jack, Davis, Ojo, Aribo, Kamara, Candeias, Jones, Docherty, Stewart, Murphy, Hastie, Arfield

Strikers (2):  Defoe, Morelos

So let's assume we do complete on our final two targets and have to move 5 out, who would they be?  I've suggested mine in bold (italics means on loan).  The management team has some tough decisions ahead.

At least one of the keepers will move on but I don't see any fringe defenders leaving; possibly Polster on loan or Flanagan sold but I doubt it.  I suspect Tav's future will depend on if we get an offer of around £10m.

Midfield is where we're top heavy but aside from Holt and Middleton (loan), we may struggle to offload guys like Grezda and Dorrans who might not fancy a decrease in wages.  Murphy may leave if we get a good offer whilst Hastie and Docherty might go on loan if they're not featuring regularly by the end of August.

Clearly in attack we're fairly short of numbers in terms of actual strikers.  I think Stewart will be our third striker as it stands and, like Tav, Morelos may well move on if we can realise the £15m+ we're looking for.  Dodoo should be another that will leave and I doubt we'll be difficult to deal with for him or Lafferty.

With regard to players coming in, you'd imagine Kent is still wanted but I'm not sure where we'd fit him in as it stands.  Another striker has to be a priority but the future of Morelos is key to any new signings there.

Keeping 25 players fit, happy and hungry is a big challenge but that's the quad needed if we're to compete in Europe and do well domestically.  

Said it before: Dorrans, Holt, Dodoo, Grezda, Middleton, Alnwick and Lafferty will probably let loose, one way or another. That will leave us with 25 players. Give or take a couple of departures (Tav / Morelos) and a couple of new signings.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/glasgow-rangers/startseite/verein/124

All defensive positions will be covered by 2 players for each slot.

Same goes for the central midfield roles, with Jack, Davis, Kamara and Docherty the more defensive part, whereas Arfield, Murphy and Aribo slot in in attacking midfield.

Either wing is covered by two guys, Candeias will probably get Ojo and Hastie as understudies, while Jones and Murphy do it on the left. Noteable that all of them can switch flanks if required.

We only have three main strikers thus far, but given that we will probably rarely use a 2-striker line-up and folk like Murphy and Jones can fill the shadow striker role too, if need be.

IMHO, we are well placed as we are.