[FT] St Mirren 0 - 1 Rangers (Barisic 59)

2 hours ago, pete said:

I reacted to a post from Gunslinger who called me out. Surely John picking Goldson for POTY is his opinion and not a measuring block for what is right and what is nonesense. I have and others including yourself have all mentioned situations to substantiate that Goldson is liable to make mistakes so no idea  why it is unsubstantiated nonsense  I did say in an earlier post that Goldson played well yesterday. I would certainly play Goldson and Katic for the 2 oncoming games. Anyway I will leave it at that and go and work in the garden.

Katic makes mistakes too.  The issue here is you prefer to gloss over Katic mistakes whilst highlighting Goldson ones.  The goal against the Danes being one.  You stated as fact that it was Goldson's error which led to the goal and others showed you why that MIGHT not be the case - Katic went to the wide player too soon (especially as said wide player was outside the box at the time).  A case could be made for either player to be blamed - indeed, Flanagan too - but you focused on Goldson because you have a thing about Goldson.

Why can't we all just celebrate that we actually seem to have FOUR very solid CB's right now.  Katic has been our best defender so far this season IMO, and is looking like he has improved exponentially.  He has a very bright future for us, given he is still a young, raw lad.  If he keeps up his current form he will do very well for us.  Goldson does overplay the ball - got away with one on the edge of our box yesterday - but Gerrard wants ball-playing CB's.  What Goldson does better than Katic is play vertical passes and cut through opponents lines - his vertical passing has become much better this season.  Helander I like too as his passing seems very good and his positional sense is good.  Edmundson can feel hard done by because he also has been playing well when called upon.

Rather than argue about this player being better than that player - I am just happy we seem to have four CB's who we can reliably count on.... as opposed to a few short years ago relying on players like McCulloch and Cribari at the back... A long distance has indeed been travelled.

I've been looking back at this game and thinking that it will look a much better result in a few months. St Mirren aren't the team they were last season, they have played 3 games against top 5 sides in their opening 3 matches and only conceded 3 goals. It was clear as day in our game that this is a team who should do pretty well this season, they didn't know how to set up like that under previous managers. And with new signings Durmus and McAllister on the wings they have the ability to counter attack.

I had a look at Goodwin's record and have to say it looks good too, got Alloa promoted and then kept them up despite being part time, finishing ahead of much bigger clubs in the process.

Their pre-season was terrible but Goodwin joined them late and consequently 6 of their starting 11 were signed late in the window. All in all I think we've done very well to come away from there with 3 points and I don't think Aberdeen will be the only side to get a bit of a shock and come away empty handed from Paisley this season.

• 1 month later...
On 27/08/2019 at 09:49, DMAA said:

I've been looking back at this game and thinking that it will look a much better result in a few months. St Mirren aren't the team they were last season, they have played 3 games against top 5 sides in their opening 3 matches and only conceded 3 goals. It was clear as day in our game that this is a team who should do pretty well this season, they didn't know how to set up like that under previous managers. And with new signings Durmus and McAllister on the wings they have the ability to counter attack.

I had a look at Goodwin's record and have to say it looks good too, got Alloa promoted and then kept them up despite being part time, finishing ahead of much bigger clubs in the process.

Their pre-season was terrible but Goodwin joined them late and consequently 6 of their starting 11 were signed late in the window. All in all I think we've done very well to come away from there with 3 points and I don't think Aberdeen will be the only side to get a bit of a shock and come away empty handed from Paisley this season.

Just in the way of an update on this, it has held up thus far. St Mirren have played 4 home league games not including us and haven’t conceded a single goal in those games, 2 wins and 2 draws. This makes this win seem more important and probably under appreciated at the time. 

Edited by DMAA

Still early days but St Johnstone looking like a team destined to take the automatic drop. Hamilton will likely pull of their traditional escape act while St Mirren too appear to have enough to escape the drop.

I think Hearts will start picking up points when their vast injury list begins to ease while hubz appear to be a side who will spend the season flirting with the play off spot.