Rangers Calling For VAR

It's not an answer for everything but would have ruled out both of their recent goals against us. As for Clancy the penalty decision though we fortunately got away with it really irritates me. He's given a penalty for what happens at corners in pretty much every game every week. Yet we don't see penalties given at corners in every game every week. And if that was a penalty why isn't this? He couldn't see this? It was pretty clear to me even as it played out live.

Primed to start at the relevant time.

I'm not in favour of VAR and I don't think that it will be implemented in this country.  Smaller teams will probably consider it to be a bit like grass.  That is to say an expensive luxury.

This means that calls for VAR can serve as a great way to criticise poor refereeing like we witnessed the other day.

Can you see clubs like Hamilton or St Johnstone or Ross County volunteering to pay for VAR? You can hear them now ... "if Rangers and Celtic want VAR, let them pay for it".

Neither the SFA nor the SPFL has any money so, unless UEFA is prepared to subsidise the introduction of VAR into member Associations, I think it's likely the VAR issue will only confirm Scotland's place in UEFA's second tier for backward nations.

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

Can you see clubs like Hamilton or St Johnstone or Ross County volunteering to pay for VAR? You can hear them now ... "if Rangers and Celtic want VAR, let them pay for it".

Neither the SFA nor the SPFL has any money so, unless UEFA is prepared to subsidise the introduction of VAR into member Associations, I think it's likely the VAR issue will only confirm Scotland's place in UEFA's second tier for backward nations.

Any idea what the cost would be?.

There is already good Sky/BT cameras in a lot of matches, why not have a monitor pitch side for the 4th official/assistant ref & managers? obviously not all games are covered but it's a start.

Edited by ian1964

On 01/01/2020 at 12:35, ian1964 said:

Any idea what the cost would be?.

There is already good Sky/BT cameras in a lot of matches, why not have a monitor pitch side for the 4th official/assistant ref & managers? obviously not all games are covered but it's a start.

I recall reading somewhere an estimated cost of about 5k per match.  Across the SPFL that's 38 games per team, so a total of 228 matches.  Gives a total of £1,140,000 if the 5k figure is reasonable (and it doesn't sound too off the mark I suspect...)  Obviously we're not going to get big screens and everything for that, but a pitch side monitor, remote viewing office and some guys to man it plus cameras at all grounds sounds about right surely?

14 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think fans who want VAR should all chip in to pay for it.

Fair's fair.

Again, assuming that the vaguely remembered £5k figure is accurate, or approaching accurate, surely we can find half a million people interested in getting VAR in place in Scottish football willing to chip in a couple of quid?  On a more sensible approach, a balanced contribution from all 12 SPFL clubs would be 95k per club.  If the OF (being better off than others) were to shoulder more of the burden (say 25% each) it would be £285,000 to Rangers and Celtic and £57,000 to each of the others.  Another option, the TV deal struck in 2018 was for £160mill over 5 years, or £32mill a season.  Take it out of that!  IF (and it's a big if) my £5k figure is accurate or close to accurate, then it's very doable.  IF TV money was used for 50%, crowdfuning for 10% (from supporters) and weighted so OF pay 50% between them of the rest, then £171k for Rangers\Celtic and £35k for the other clubs...  I know there's not much money in Scottish football, but we should be able to manage that...

Having watched quite a lot of English football over the past 24 hours, I am damn sure I don't want VAR anywhere near the SPL.  The whole thing is a farce and would undoubtedly be worse up here, given the standard of the officials.

24 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Then you would be getting a free ride, on somebody else's dime. 

That would be like putting free mayonnaise* on my chips and telling me how lucky I am.

*I hate mayonnaise and would throw the chips away.