Morelos sectarian abuse

9 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Would they write anti-Rangers articles? 

No, wait, they already do that. 

The difference would be that we're not welcoming them into our home while they're doing it. 

I'm not sure what the match reports are like.

The opinion columns will probably end up worse.

Your last point suggests that it is merely for our own satisfaction rather than to achieve any particular end.

1 hour ago, PoohBear said:

Not sure about the statement, it has an air of unnecessary smugness about it.  We shouldn't be writing Morelos' name in lights here, we need to quietly remind people of the facts.  I really dislike the passive aggressive statements that (I assume) Traynor writes.

The timing is poor for me, especially with the kid being charged with racism.  We shouldn't forget it's an impressionable 12 year old that's charged, not an adult.  This whole case needs some care and sensitivity from everyone.

Now I am persuaded that this was in fact the best statement ever made by a football club.

4 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I'm not sure what the match reports are like.

The opinion columns will probably end up worse.

Your last point suggests that it is merely for our own satisfaction rather than to achieve any particular end.

No, it's not the reason. It's for punishment and prevention in the future.

When I see a stream of posts commending a club statement, it's often a good indicator that the statement was in fact written for supporter consumption as opposed to influencing those to whom it appears to be directed.

To be honest it's the last paragraph that I think isn't great.  And the stuff telling people to take a look at themselves or to apologise.  It just seems needlessly aggressive and smug. The rest is fine, but seriously we need to be controlling the vitriol.

Edited by PoohBear

50 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

To be honest it's the last paragraph that I think isn't great.  And the stuff telling people to take a look at themselves or to apologise.  It just seems needlessly aggressive and smug. The rest is fine, but seriously we need to be controlling the vitriol.

It's the difference between having a journalist and a PR professional in charge.

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

Ideally, yes, but I just don't think that is a realistic outcome.

You may be right.

However we're left with the options of doing nothing and allowing the attacks to continue unabated or doing something to show that there are consequences to their actions. The latter may be just an inconvenience to them, but at least it's something, and it may have an impact on their circulation numbers. 

I'd prefer us to be at least trying to do something rather than not doing anything and giving them free reign.