1 minute ago, forlanssister said:

One the sole fault of Kamara and the other an unfortunate deflection.

I understand that - I'm just leery of the rush to hang the defeat around the neck of any one player, especially someone who only played half the game. It's never that simple. The player you mention, Kamara, was by some distance the worst performer on the day but I haven't seem him receiving a fraction of the flak directed at Flanagan.

33 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

I digress as the manager picked Flanagan but didn't alter the midfield formation to mitigate for Flanagan's phobias of crossing the half way line and passing the ball in a forward direction.

There was a marked improvement with the introduction of Polster.

Said that on the Match thread Billy.  Polster showed more urgency, looked stronger to me, was happy to get up and down that right touchline, had good touches and his crosses were actually, on the whole, very good - the one to Kent where he played it in from halfway inside the Hearts half (which only just overran Kent) was sublime.  He also was more than happy to make vertical passes which Flanagan rarely did in the first 45 mins.

I thought Polster looked very assured - indeed, IMHO, with that performance he leapt over Flanagan as the back-up to Tav - think he also jumped over Patterson too because Hearts offered much more resistance than Stranraer and the defensive side was called into question more often.

For just a 45 minute cameo, I have to say I was very impressed with him and feel that, rather than letting him leave, we should just let Flanagan's contract run out and retain Polster.

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

I understand that - I'm just leery of the rush to hang the defeat around the neck of any one player, especially someone who only played half the game. It's never that simple. The player you mention, Kamara, was by some distance the worst performer on the day but I haven't seem him receiving a fraction of the flak directed at Flanagan.

Fair point, particularly when considering the game was 0-0 when Flanagan was removed :roflmao:

7 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I suspect we'd recoup most of our fee for him still, Leeds were willing to pay it in the summer

Sorry to pick at this but they actually weren’t, Leeds walked away because Liverpool wouldn’t lower the price. I said at the time that I would be very surprised if a Championship club paid that kind of money for him. Presumably Club Brugge were though because Kent said he was just about to sign for them. 

I'm so surprised that after that defeat we are focussing so much 'blame' on our most creative player, the one who scored our goal in tha game, and one of the few who worked his socks off (despite having one of his poorer games).  Our problem is that we don't have enough Ryan Kents in the team!!!