[FT] Rangers 3 - 2 Braga (Hagi 67, 82; Aribo 75)

6 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

10 places are stick-on, in my opinion, (assuming Barasic is fit) with the only question being over Hagi's inclusion.

I don't think Kamara can be considered a stick on when he has only played 2 minutes of our last 3 league games. He could go with Aribo alongside Davis and Arfield although I would be surprised given the stregnth of the opposition and the fact that Kamara is a more defensive player.

38 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I don't think Kamara can be considered a stick on when he has only played 2 minutes of our last 3 league games. He could go with Aribo alongside Davis and Arfield although I would be surprised given the stregnth of the opposition and the fact that Kamara is a more defensive player.

Yeah, that's why Kamara is a stick-on.

We all want the best outcome and hope springs eternal. However, I look at our lacklustre form since the winter break and compare it with that of the opposition ... and I can't find any rational basis for expecting us to beat Braga. Much as I wish it was otherwise, I don't give us a cat's chance in Hell of progressing further. Right now I'm just hoping we don't embarrass ourselves by getting thrashed. 

That's how I feel about it and unless this manager and these players have undergone a complete transformation since the weekend, I see absolutely no reason to think differently.

15 hours ago, Bill said:

We all want the best outcome and hope springs eternal. However, I look at our lacklustre form since the winter break and compare it with that of the opposition ... and I can't find any rational basis for expecting us to beat Braga. Much as I wish it was otherwise, I don't give us a cat's chance in Hell of progressing further. Right now I'm just hoping we don't embarrass ourselves by getting thrashed. 

That's how I feel about it and unless this manager and these players have undergone a complete transformation since the weekend, I see absolutely no reason to think differently.

It's incredible how the tables have turned since the draw was made.

On December 16th we drew a Braga side who were toiling in mid-table and looked a clear step down from the Porto. 7 days later they appointed a rookie coach, Rúben Amorim. A familiar name due to his playing career but his only previous coaching experience was with the Braga B team.

A closer look at his record and you can see why they gave him the job after only a few months of management with the B team. Before he started with the B team they had won their 3 home games but lost their 2 away games convincingly. He became their manager in September and in his 11 games in charge his record was W8 D2 L1. Since he left the B team their form has collapsed with 3 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses. 

Despite not even being allowed in the dugout because he doesn't have his badges, Amorim has taken his methods to the A team and performed a miraculous turnaround. Prior to him taking over, Braga's league record was W5 D3 L6. Since he has taken over their record is W9 D1 L0. This has included 5 away wins out of 5 and wins over Benfica, Porto and Sporting Lisbon. And the 1 draw was due to a first half red card.

So in short we are facing a manager who in his very limited experience in the dugout (or in the stand!)  barely knows how to lose, using an unconventional formation. At this moment in time, we are facing the best side in Portugal and we certainly aren't favourites. Here's hoping Amorim's first taste of European football is a bitter one and presents a new test to the methods he has implemented so successfully domestically.

Edited by DMAA

16 minutes ago, DMAA said:

It's incredible how the tables have turned since the draw was made.

On December 16th we drew a Braga side who were toiling in mid-table and looked a clear step down from the Porto. 7 days later they appointed a rookie coach, Rúben Amorim. A familiar name due to his playing career but his only previous coaching experience was with the Braga B team.

A closer look at his record and you can see why they gave him the job after only a few months of management with the B team. Before he started with the B team they had won their 3 home games but lost their 2 away games convincingly. He became their manager in September and in his 11 games in charge his record was W8 D2 L1. Since he left the B team their form has collapsed with 3 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses. 

Despite not even being allowed in the dugout because he doesn't have his badges, Amorim has taken his methods to the A team and performed a miraculous turnaround. Prior to him taking over, Braga's league record was W5 D3 L6. Since he has taken over their record is W9 D1 L0. This has included 5 away wins out of 5 and wins over Benfica, Porto and Sporting Lisbon. And the 1 draw was due to a first half red card.

So in short we are facing a manager who in his very limited experience in the dugout (or in the stand!)  barely knows how to lose, using an unconventional formation. At this moment in time, we are facing the best side in Portugal and we certainly aren't favourites. Here's hoping Amorim's first taste of European football is a bitter one and presents a new test to the methods he has implemented so successfully domestically.

To be honest, I'm far more concerned with our own situation than anything happening at Braga. I've seen some great teams crumble at Ibrox and I've also seen poor teams beat us out of sight. It's all about the Rangers!

2 hours ago, Bill said:

To be honest, I'm far more concerned with our own situation than anything happening at Braga. I've seen some great teams crumble at Ibrox and I've also seen poor teams beat us out of sight. It's all about the Rangers!

Yes I meant to say that the tables have turned on our side as well of course. I amn't too worried about form personally but I am worried about Jack's absence. My prediction over the two legs is that Braga's superior quality in the final third will show. My hope is that we can rattle them at Ibrox and nick a win and then hold out in Braga.