[FT] St Johnstone 2 - 2 Rangers (Kamberi 50; Aribo 71)

1 minute ago, RANGERRAB said:

We’re trying to play nice,neat  football on a terrible surface. We need to be more direct. Get Kamberi on.

I agree with you, but the irony is, the neat and tidy is the only way we've looked like scoring; when we've gone long, we've given up possession. 

7 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

What's annoying is, like most other diddy teams, we cant deal with their only offensive tactic which is the long ball. 

It should not this hard to deal with. 

I've no idea what instructions our centre backs have been given but each time there's a long ball, normally one should attack it and the other covers.  If you look at their goal, Katic attacks it (albeit poorly) and Goldson is actually jogging back while square with Katic.  It's the same on the other side when Goldson attacks it.  If Goldson had sprinted back to cover we would have cleared it without a problem.  I've said this since Helander got injured, but he was excellent at reading the game and knew when to cover and when to attack.

We also need Arfield and Aribo to recognise when they are needed defensively too.  Arfield always tries hard but his positioning is terrible in the three man midfield.  He needs to allow Kent and Hagi to take up those half spaces.  He wants to occupy them as well and this means that's not only is he out of position but he's taking the space from Kent and Hagi.  I saw Hagi telling him to move away from him twice.  I like Arfield but not in this role.

I'd go 3-4-1-2:

Kamberi - Morelos 

Hagi

Arfield - Aribo - Jack - Tavernier

Halliday - Katic - Goldson

McGregor

Bring Kamberi on for Kent, to get two strikers running off Hagi in his best, central position. 

Tavernier high and wide on the right, Arfield on the left.

(Kent would be better wide left, but I just prefer Arfield's desire at the moment.)

• Rousseau changed the title to [HT] St Johnstone 1 - 0 Rangers

HT, 1-0.

We've been lively, buzzing away, but without any quality in the final third. 

St Johnstone have done nothing, other than a couple of long balls, and scoring from one of them. 

A wee bit of quality and it's a cricket score, IMO.