What's gone wrong?

26 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

He has scored a couple but they were incorrectly disallowed, and not for the first time this season.

Yes he has, but his performance and lack of goals, even including those, still merits stepping back and asking some questions.

Edited by DMAA

8 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Yes he has, but his performance and lack of goals, even including those, still merits stepping back and asking some questions.

He's a young 23 year old, whose partner is pregnant for the first time, who has been subject to continuous racist and xenophobic abuse, had lies printed about him in the press, is refereed to a different standard from any other player in the Scottish game, and has been consistently vilified and attacked by all forms of the press, and all on which there has been little or no public support from the club. 

No wonder his performances have started to suffer.

22 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

He's a young 23 year old, whose partner is pregnant for the first time, who has been subject to continuous racist and xenophobic abuse, had lies printed about him in the press, is refereed to a different standard from any other player in the Scottish game, and has been consistently vilified and attacked by all forms of the press, and all on which there has been little or no public support from the club. 

No wonder his performances have started to suffer.

True. But he’s paid 30k a week?

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

Irrelevant any human being can only take so much from outside sources before it affects them.

How do you know it’s affecting him? SG has already said it isn’t. Playing football and going to work might help him (excluding refereeing issues). 

I’d hazard a guess he isn’t reading scottish newspapers or worrying what Spiers, English , Stewart, leckie and the rest say about him. That’s probably in our heads more than his. 

His pregnant partner can’t be a major issue and the fact he has a great job is better situation than many of his young fans living in Glasgow housing schemes on rubbish pay, or lower middle class struggling with a mortgage and who have families on the way. 

The only thing I buy that is affecting him is refereeing and he’s paid a fortune so needs to deal with it. 

My take on it is he is simply off form which happens to every player and it needs fixed pronto.

He can start by not getting suspended from matches. It’s no coincidence we are failing at the exact time he goes off the ball and following his extended leave in Colombia. 

I love he guy and he has inspired me and I’ve given a fair few quid to his charity on that basis but he owes every fan a performance every week and he needs to understand that and get back to his best. No excuses. 

11 minutes ago, Walterbear said:

How do you know it’s affecting him? SG has already said it isn’t. Playing football and going to work might help him (excluding refereeing issues). 

SG isn't going to admit it's affecting him, whether it is or it isn't.

1 minute ago, Walterbear said:

I’d hazard a guess he isn’t reading scottish newspapers or worrying what Spiers, English , Stewart, leckie and the rest say about him. That’s probably in our heads more than his. 

His pregnant partner can’t be a major issue and the fact he has a great job is better situation than many of his young fans living in Glasgow housing schemes on rubbish pay, or lower middle class struggling with a mortgage and who have families on the way. 

The only thing I buy that is affecting him is refereeing and he’s paid a fortune so needs to deal with it. 

You've ignored the racism, which he definitely is aware of.

As for the pregnant wife, many of the younger fans in Glasgow housing schemes will have support networks in terms of family and friends and are fluent in the language and don't have it as a headline in a newspaper that their pregnant wife has employed a PI to put a tracker on his car.

He may not have the financial worries that other families have but it doesn't mean that all other issues disappear just because he's well paid.

8 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

You've ignored the racism, which he definitely is aware of.

As for the pregnant wife, many of the younger fans in Glasgow housing schemes will have support networks in terms of family and friends and are fluent in the language and don't have it as a headline in a newspaper that their pregnant wife has employed a PI to put a tracker on his car.

He may not have the financial worries that other families have but it doesn't mean that all other issues disappear just because he's well paid.

How about he sticks the ball in the back of the net. That’s the best response to racists and sneering journalists and I’d hazard another guess is that he knows that. He’s been fighting far greater prejudices simply because of his upbringing and where he’s from than Scottish tabloid ignoramuses or a few scum fans and he’s prevailed. He could pay for his family to come here without even thinking about it. Maybe he does? Maybe he’s in constant contact as Latinos tend to be? 

Too many excuses being made for him right now. He rightly gets our praise the vast majority of the time. Right now he deserves a rocket up the erse from the gaffer (not us during a match for sure).  He’s constantly making wrong decisions or not finishing well. Those are football issues. Anyone who thinks Bill Leckie or Keith Jackson cross his mind when the ball is at his feet or even in training doesn’t get the mentality of driven, confident, aggressive, egotistical footballers. 

When he missed that chance to make it 3-1 SG was livid with HIM. SG didn’t start bleating about off field issues or talking about racism. 

We’ve quite rightly criticised refs this year and we’ve all supported Alfie against the haters. Let’s not make fools of ourselves by not recognising we have a major football issue with our team at the moment, wr have an issue with Alfie’s football,  and the answer lies on the training ground, on the pitch on a Saturday and most probably in the transfer market in the summer. SG needs to get these players playing or the transfer values will go down and less funds will be available for strengthening.

Right now I’d take a player with 20% less talent than Alfie who can play 50 games a season. If you are paid a fortune and you’re playing rubbish then you are a target for the manager and any of these other excuses need binned. It’s a losing mentality to keep making excuses.