[FT] Rangers 0 - 1 Hamilton Acas

... when Barisic hit some lovely crosses into the box which were barely cleared, no-one was patroling the area around the penalty spot looking for scraps. Happened a number of occasions last night and Accies - given their numbers in there - quickly cleared that situations. Been a problem all season.

Likewise, even with Defoe, Barker and Morelos on, too many folk were lingering in the same area, rather than covering different space.

Biggest point of bother was the lack of wing-play. Why we insist that our fullbacks provide that is beyond me. Not least when one of our fullbacks is better suited to rugby-style passes these days. Was thinking back to the days when Candeias and Tavernier were roving down that flank and you may argue that they lived from one another and Tavernier hardly has a similar partner these days. Which should not excuse his woeful attempts at crossing the ball.

As has been said, it can`t get any worse now and hard as it may sound, we should trial and test players now for next season. I don`t know what happened with Jones (there is very little information coming from the club here), Stewart - after half a dozen cameos was thrown in at the deep end and cynically (IMHO) dropped yesterday. Ojo vanished into the periphery, Barker has yet to show anything that convinces me he`s got it. Leaves us with Hastie, who will sure have enthusiasm to burn.

If Polster and Helander are fit, they should be contenders for longer spells in the side, even though Helander would be the manager`s preferred choice anyway.

That said, Ross County away will be tough going again. I reckon they will dig in and be physical as usual, so we might have to look after Hagi et al, as he will be needed against Bayer.

Polster and Helander are both approaching fitness again but I doubt they'll feature in our next four games as, with Helander especially, it's going to take him another fortnight to get up to speed.  Perhaps he'll make the Celtic game next week or more likely to Levekusen second leg but I'm not sure.

Looks like Tav might be injured for Sunday as well as he limped off last night so I'd fancy Patterson may be utilised with Flanagan currently out the picture.

Flanagan ... actually we might go 3 at the back with him, ordering them to stay back and clear the lines.

Just watched their goal again and that wicked deflection had Goldson inbetween two Accies people haring at him. Split second decision by him that went wrong and as per usual, we suffered. Accies were pooring forward at that time and it should have been order of the day to boot the ball anywhere ... long before it ended up with Goldson.

Edited by der Berliner

I told myself I wasn't going to join any open criticism of our manager, who I still hope delivers success. However, I've been increasingly worried by the tone of his "reaction" interviews after the last two losses. On each occasion he's made a point of assuring us how much he was "hurting" and how disappointed he was. I don't want a Rangers manager telling me how hurt or disappointed he is, that's the last thing I want. I want a Rangers manager being incandescent that his players could even dare to serve up such feckless crap. I want a Rangers manager making decisive changes and flaying anyone who doesn't go along with it. In other words, some sign of leadership. I'm beginning to understand that the players have caught on to this side of Gerrard and there's been a considerable loss of respect for him.

And I don't ever want to hear the word Liverpool mentioned again so long as Gerrard is the manager of Rangers. This isn't fucking Liverpool and right now it doesn't look like Rangers either.

Edited by Bill

I think the mentality theory is without question now. We had a shaky start in January but still won 3 home games out of 3 without conceding a goal. It was worrying but in the context of two new signings coming in and a number of key players being out it wasn't a reason to panic.

But rather than find our feet and gradually improve as players came back from injury and suspension and new signings bedded in, we have gradually got worse and have only now hit what must be rock bottom on the 4th of March.

What's worse is the nature of the goals conceded and chances missed. It is clear that something is badly wrong in the psychology of the players. Our forward players are spurning easy chances repeatedly. Our defenders have gifted almost every goal we have conceded. Something has clearly gone in their heads. 

I've no idea how to fix it other than to make bigger changes than Gerrard has been prepared to make up until now. Bringing in Kamberi for Kent was a sign of progress, Gerrard crosssed a red line he hadn't crossed all season when he dropped Kent. His staunch defence of Kent after his goal in Braga was worrying. Morelos, Goldson and Tavernier should probably be next. 

Edited by DMAA

5 hours ago, CammyF said:

period of our history is beginning to remind me of the John Greig era and for those of you old enough, that should give you nightmares. 

Aye, I do remember that era and it was def not pretty! "Greig must go" was a regular chant round Ibrox. Totally agree re the atmosphere last night. I hung around at the end (Niece body swerve the game) and the toxicity was vicious.

22 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Aye, I do remember that era and it was def not pretty! "Greig must go" was a regular chant round Ibrox. Totally agree re the atmosphere last night. I hung around at the end (Niece body swerve the game) and the toxicity was vicious.

Anyone comparing the end of  John Greig’s time as Rangers manager & just now is kidding themselves.

Back then we could barely get in the top four.

12 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Anyone comparing the end of  John Greig’s time as Rangers manager & just now is kidding themselves.

Back then we could barely get in the top four.

But we looked decent in Europe but useless domestically. Oh and JG won us the odd cup or two....