Economic Carnage and what it entails for Rangers

10 hours ago, Gaffer said:

......As for our club, I'm all for being optimistic, but that means hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.  I realise competing with that other lot is always on our minds but I'm hoping desperately that we have a plan B if this lockdown continues.  If the government really is committed to this approach, I really can't see how many if any supporters will be attending matches for the next 18 months at least.  If our season ticket money is reduced or eliminated, we need to find a way to survive.  It would be great not to have to break the emergency glass but let's at least have the action plan ready.  That's all I'm saying.

I do also agree with you that Celtic have a much bigger problem looming.  If we can navigate this smartly we may accelerate how quickly we catch them (and possibly overtake them) financially.  I hope we do.

Every week, the timescale estimates seem to be gaining 6 months ?

It shouldn´t be beyond the collective wit of man to come up with more timely solutions.

If your 18 month at least were to be accurate....Rangers and Celtic would probably be starting from scratch.

Edited by buster.
grammar bad

2 hours ago, buster. said:

Every week, the timescale estimates seem to be gaining 6 months ?

It shouldn´t be beyond the collective wit of man to come up with more timely solutions.

If your 18 month at least were to be accurate....Rangers and Celtic would probably be starting from scratch.

Every week the government changes the goalposts.  This could be over within a week if they cancel this lockdown.  That's my solution.  If they insist on mass vaccinations it could be much longer than 18 months.  And yes, this could very well mean that clubs like ours are starting from scratch.  I just hope our board is treating this as seriously as they should be.  At the moment it doesn't appear they are.

Edited by Gaffer

Rangers could quite easily survive a prolonged shutdown ... but only if we accept we may have to and take appropriate actions. My big fear is that the board and its executives are sleepwalking into neglect.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Rangers could quite easily survive a prolonged shutdown ... but only if we accept we may have to and take appropriate actions. My big fear is that the board and its executives are sleepwalking into neglect.

I suppose that's true but if it is prolonged how many fans,not just of us,might lose the urge to attend football/major sporting events?

Easy to say we have the fan base there but with other means of watching care has to be taken.

18 minutes ago, Bill said:

Obviously I agree with that @Bill.  What steps would you take?  Also, it's not just our board, it's the government and the CEOs of many firms.  They all seem to be taking comfort in the perception that others are not panicking either. This is the time to 'profit' by planning effectively and yet too few actually do this, perhaps hoping it will just go away.  This is the behaviour that I've seen plenty of times. Each time we've seen signs of a crisis I've made sure that I (and the large institutions I advise) do well out of it but it amazes me how few people learn from even the most recent events.  Bizarre to say the least.

Edited by Gaffer

47 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

I suppose that's true but if it is prolonged how many fans,not just of us,might lose the urge to attend football/major sporting events?

Easy to say we have the fan base there but with other means of watching care has to be taken.

It won't matter what fanbase we have if there's not still a club for them to support.

37 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Obviously I agree with that @Bill.  What steps would you take?  Also, it's not just our board, it's the government and the CEOs of many firms.  They all seem to be taking comfort in the perception that others are not panicking either. This is the time to 'profit' by planning effectively and yet too few actually do this, perhaps hoping it will just go away.  This is the behaviour that I've seen plenty of times. Each time we've seen signs of a crisis I've made sure that I (and the large institutions I advise) do well out of it but it amazes me how few people learn from even the most recent events.  Bizarre to say the least.

There's much in what you say. I used to work for a well-known "company doctor". A Helensburgh man, now sadly passed away. He was the sort of guy who would be sent into an ailing company by the administrators or main shareholders to halt the decline a prepare the organisation for sale or recovery. Invariably his first action would be to lock away the cheque books and put a stop on all bank accounts - to immediately stop all cash outflow. Only then would he even think about ongoing operations - and those thoughts would always be about cutting costs and turning assets into cash. Now that's not the situation at Rangers but many of the same broad principles should be employed right now. Rangers has no idea how long they might have to endure having no income, so should be prudently assuming the worst case. Maybe they are already. I just see no sign of it.

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread but a Newcastle-supporting acquaintance of mine is unsure about the takeover by a Saudi family even though it means the end of the hated Ashley.

How would Rangers fans feel if a similar cash-rich Middle-Eastern consortium went for us? Should it be welcomed? Do we want success at any price? My preference is always for Scottish, or at least, British, control. But curious to know what the grassroots feeling is.

Secondly, should the Ashley buy-out if it happens increase or decrease the chances of loosening his manacles on us?

Edited by alexscottislegend

3 hours ago, Gaffer said:

Every week the government changes the goalposts.  This could be over within a week if they cancel this lockdown.  That's my solution.  If they insist on mass vaccinations it could be much longer than 18 months.  And yes, this could very well mean that clubs like ours are starting from scratch.  I just hope our board is treating this as seriously as they should be.  At the moment it doesn't appear they are.

Deferrals rather than cuts weren´t an encouraging sign.  

I´d hope the club at least asked for cuts first, even if the players then refused.

We´ve run a structured loss for a number of years and this pandemic has arrived at a point when we were looking to get a lot closer to break even, without soft loans or share issues to keep us going.

The last couple of seasons has brought in significant European cash. If we were to lose out on that in 20/21, it would be a big hole to fill. You also have to wonder when we get the UEFA cash for this season  regards cashflow.

Edited by buster.