Economic Carnage and what it entails for Rangers

45 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

If the club is able to allow fans back into Ibrox, it is highly likely to be limited.  By how much?  By my own estimation, considering the 2m rule, we would be operating with an absolute maximum capacity of around 11,000, unless the club can fit Perspex separation somehow (which just isn't practical).  This means that we need to reduce our operating costs by around 70%, with all other things being equal.

If social distancing limits physical attendance you'd think the ban on live tv coverage of 3pm kick-offs will also be relaxed.

It seems reasonable (likely to me) that clubs will be allowed to charge for live coverage via Rangers TV and equivalents - that should mitigate the loss from attendances to an extent, and may even be an opportunity to make money.

1 minute ago, Thinker said:

If social distancing limits physical attendance you'd think the ban on live tv coverage of 3pm kick-offs will also be relaxed.

It seems reasonable (likely to me) that clubs will be allowed to charge for live coverage via Rangers TV and equivalents - that should mitigate the loss from attendances to an extent, and may even be an opportunity to make money.

That's a good point and one I raised in an earlier post.  Unfortunately I was corrected by someone who said that the rights to air the games are not actually owned by the club so it probably would require a rewrite of the SPFL rules to achieve it.  Under current circumstances I think our chances of that are slim.  I would however hope that our board is working on all possible angles.

5 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Under current circumstances I think our chances of that are slim.  

I disagree, as all (capable) clubs, including Separate Entity FC, would surely agree this would be an economically sound way to deal with the situation.

13 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I disagree, as all (capable) clubs, including Separate Entity FC, would surely agree this would be an economically sound way to deal with the situation.

Why would the other clubs (outside of the old firm) agree to this?  The other clubs will then not benefit from the old firm?  That's the reason they'll all vote against the reconstruction too.  Only Rangers and Celtic stand to gain.  Aberdeen, Hib, Hearts, etc may all see this as a chance to level the playing field.  They might enjoy the fact that we are limited to similar crowds that they get.

Even a socially distanced 11,000 constitutes a large gathering , so i can't see how that will work.

It's one thing having 11,000 people seated three metres apart inside a stadium, but it's another actually getting them in and out, whilst still obeying the distancing rules.

I can't see large gatherings, socially distanced or otherwise ,being allowed at all, and season tickets look like they may be bought purely as a tv subscription, which will allow you to watch these games.

13 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Why would the other clubs (outside of the old firm) agree to this?  The other clubs will then not benefit from the old firm?

I suppose that depends on percentages etc.  Surely the opposition could be offered a reasonable percentage of the income, similar to Scottish Cup ties, which would make it worthwhile for everyone.

Although I'm probably being to hopeful/idealistic. 

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I suppose that depends on percentages etc.  Surely the opposition could be offered a reasonable percentage of the income, similar to Scottish Cup ties, which would make it worthwhile for everyone.

Although I'm probably being to hopeful/idealistic. 

We need some optimism because the situation seems hopeless.  I hope you're right.

With a decent set-up, I would hope the current situation might result in a few positives, such as worthwhile league reconstruction, a fairer distribution of funds and such like. 

But we don't have a decent set-up, so positive outcomes are unlikely. 

I think social distancing at football sounds is a pipe dream. Ibrox will either be shut to the public or open to 50,000.

As for live TV screening of games, it seem inevitable this is what will happen. Whether that is on terrestrial TV or pay-per-view is another thing. In either case, I think the only way it will happen is under a general contract that sees income divided between all clubs and some mechanism that gives Rangers and Celtic a preferential share. What I'd like to see is clubs given the right to broadcast their own games.

29 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Why would the other clubs (outside of the old firm) agree to this?  The other clubs will then not benefit from the old firm?  That's the reason they'll all vote against the reconstruction too.  Only Rangers and Celtic stand to gain.  Aberdeen, Hib, Hearts, etc may all see this as a chance to level the playing field.  They might enjoy the fact that we are limited to similar crowds that they get.

Every club would be adversely affected by social distancing - all would have to reduce maximum physical attendance by >75%.

Conversely, every club would benefit from being able to sell online live stream access to their home games. For instance, when Ross County play Rangers they'd be able to sell a ton of tickets to Rangers fans. The only difference is the money from the away support would be from online access.