Nine In A Row Heroes Held To A Draw

By Graeme Macpherson at Ibrox

RANGERS' Nine-in-a-Row heroes have rolled back the years to draw 2-2 with a Scottish League Select in the tenth anniversary celebration match.

With Brian Laudrup a stand-out throughout, the Light Blues went in front after 21 minutes when the Dane pounced after Henry Smith could only parry Jorg Albertz's piledriver.

Laudrup was the source of the second goal, sending in a deep cross that Ally McCoist laid into the path of Pieter Huistra who finished from close range.

In a game played at a gentle pace and packed with good humour, ex-Celt Frank McAvennie got one back for the visitors early in the second half when he converted a penalty after Alex Rae had been fouled by Richard Gough.

A raft of substitutions followed to further slow down the tempo and the League Select grabbed a late equaliser when Brian Irvine headed home in front of 30,797 spectators, both young and old.

RANGERS: Goram, Nisbet, Robertson, Gough, Moore, Durie, McCall, Miller, Albertz, McCoist, Laudrup

Subs: Woods, Petric, Brown, Durrant, Ferguson, Hateley, Cleland, Gordon, Huistra, Hurlock, McInnes, McPherson, Mikhailichenko, Munro, Murray, Spackman, Steven, Woods, McLaren, Drinkell, Stevens

SCOTTISH LEAGUE: Smith, Bowman, Irvine, Boyd, McKinlay, Jackson, Lambert, McAllister, Conner, Kean, Coyle

Subs: Kidd, D Ferguson, McAvennie, Rae, Robertson, Wishart, Black

JORG ALBERTZ admits it was like stepping back in time when he entered the Ibrox dressing room today and insists the camaraderie within the squad is still as strong as ever.

The German midfielder, who finished his contract with Fortuna Dusseldorf this summer, played a large portion of the match and looked at home back on the hallowed turf.

At only 37 Albertz was one of the youngest players on show this afternoon and along with the sensational Brian Laudrup and energetic Richard Gough, all three looked sharp enough to probably still hold their own in the SPL.

32 players from the nine in a row era starred in the match and after taking a two goal lead, it looked like business as usual for Walter Smith's men.

It was Albertz's long-range shot that Henry Smith parried, allowing Laudrup to slide home the opener and while happy for the Dane, Jorg admits he was desperate to score himself.

He said: "I wanted to score so much, especially a free kick but sometimes when you are desperate for that to happen, it never does.

"I would have rather scored the goal, but getting an assist is the next best thing.

"I was happy for Brian and you could see from his performance that he should probably still be playing.

"He is a fantastic footballer."

Pieter Huistra added a second when he fired home McCoist's lay-off, but Gers couldn't hold on to their lead as the Scottish League Select pulled back two goals to level the scoreline at 2-2.

Albertz was one of several players to fly in from abroad to take part in this match and was overwhelmed with the support - over 30,000 fans attended the game - and to link up with so many of the club's former players.

Having joined Gers in 1996, the German helped secure the ninth championship in this remarkable haul and has enjoyed mixing with stars from the whole era this weekend.

He added: "It was very nice to see the boys again and to come back here and play in front of the fans.

"It was also tremendous to meet some of the guys who I didn't play with and it's been fantastic getting to know them this weekend.

"The spirit is definitely still there and I don't think that will ever change. When this group comes together everything goes back to the way it used to be, we are all just a little older!

"I didn't play too well today but it was great to be out on the pitch again and to play my part in this celebration.

"I am proud of my involvement in nine in a row and I have enjoyed being part of this reunion."

Sounds like we should be signing Laudrup up for a year. He could probably do a job for us coming off the bench at games.

No Gazza on show!!

Sounds like we should be signing Laudrup up for a year. He could probably do a job for us coming off the bench at games.

No Gazza on show!!

Gazza's still recovering from his operation a few weeks back.

Big goughie was outstanding! We should get him signed up. Mot of the players played in little bits and pieces, Gough played 90 minutes. Wasn't the greatest of spectacles, but great to see some of the guys again.

Aye Gazza pulled out last week which was a shame.

Frankie 'where's the burds' McAvennie scored the 1st goal for the Scottish League XI. Bastard!

McAvennie came on for 5. Then they got a pen. He hit it and went straight off. Wee Shite

I tell you what. Laudrup would still keep guys like burke and sionko out of the team.

Hilarious when we got that free kick at the edge of the box. The hammer was on the bench but as soon as we were awarded the free kick the big man answered the call of the screamin fans "ALBERTZ! ALBERTZ! ALBERTZ!".

P.S. The free kick hit the wall haha

since albertz was released by that german club, would it be worth to take a punt on him for half a season?

mmmmmm.... dunno, it was his shot that set up the goal. The keeper couldnt get a hold of it due to the power.

Everytime he got within 10 yrds of the 18 yrd line all you could hear was "SHOOT, HIT IT!"

Laudrup is what 37? And Albertz was still playing last season and just left a club. Sheringham and Brewster are still playing at 40 so they could probably still play depending on injuries.

But they should still be signed up as part of the coaching / scouting set up.