Optimistic Or Pessimistic?

We simply don't know for sure till we see some competitive action. The sheep on Saturday will be typical fare. They will sit in and carry on non stop fouling to prevent any football breaking out. If we give them a good drubbing then the signs are positive.

Okay, best so far is ‘Overall Optimistic’ followed by a couple of ‘Cautiously Optimistics’. 
I’m going full on ‘Very Optimistic’ and here are 10 reasons why: 

1. Haaaagiiiiiii: we have strengthened with Hagi (wasn’t here at the start of last season) Hagi is looking very useful in the middle and around the box and will bag us the additional goals that we struggled to find last season. 

2. #20: don’t see us losing Morelos this season - we won’t sell for less that 18million IMO, and nobody is paying us that! If they did, I’m sure we’ve got a great replacement lined up. Alfredo will continue to be prolific and I finally think he’ll lose the petulant behaviour! 
3. Tactically, I can see work has been done in the final third with both Kent and Aribo looking more creative in and around the box - Aribo especially. 
4. Defense: our FBs are looking good, Borna is already continuing his form and Tav looks like he has a new lease of life - it’s critical he gets back to what he was 2 seasons ago, and I’m confident he will. Goldson and Edmundson are my favored CBs - both have looked very good pre-season. Just hope George can keep pushing on and keep Helander out. 

5. Midfield: also looks in good shape with  Jack his usual reliable self and signs that Kamara is back on form. 
6. Competition:  I don’t see the rest of the teams, Celtic aside, being stronger in fact finances may suggest that they’ll be weaker this season. Celtic have not signed any superstars as far as I can tell, but I really think they’ll miss Forster - someone I really rated. I don’t know much about Barkas but I expect he’s a big downgrade on FF. 

7. Luck:  we’re owed some of that and their luck must be up after landing a ninth tainted title and league cup that should have been ours! 

8. Pressure: they won’t cope with the perception that they're going for tiar 

9. Bench: we have some able back-ups in Bassey and McLaughlin (who may actually press Greegsy on more) and seen glimpses that encourage me to believe Barker could be prey useful. Not seen enough of Jones or Stewart - potential game changers if they live up to the jersey. 
10. Last but not least - I cannot see Stevie Gerrard leaving us as a failure. He’s a winner and along with his able assistants, particularly MB, he will bring 55 home this season - there is no other scenario! 

Now Let’s Go!!!! Mon the Gers, WATP!  

Edited by weebluedevil

Apart from the comments about Aribo and Hagi providing more goals and creativity, I think most of that is wishful thinking, weebluedevil.  I really hope you're right though.

21 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Apart from the comments about Aribo and Hagi providing more goals and creativity, I think most of that is wishful thinking, weebluedevil.  I really hope you're right though.

I’d put my money where my mouth is, but we’re only 5/2 to win the league. My money was better spent on a 4-1 win On Saturday at 20/1. ?

Edited by weebluedevil

Right now I am pessimistic, but there is a lot of uncertainty regarding who will be signed with the Morelos money. 

Last season we fell short due to a lack of creativity and quality in the final third. There was also a lack of bottle and leadership. 

We are starting this season with the exact same team but we don’t know how the team will change when things start to move. 

I am happy with our defence (including depth). 

In the 3 midfield positions i think we can improve. Jack and Aribo are good enough but the third position needs strengthened. 

in the 2 attacking midfield positions Hagi is good enough but the other side needs strengthened. Kent has strengths and has a role to play but he’s not a starting 11 player for me who can be relied on to unlock deep lying defences. 

Up front, I for one won’t mind replacing Morelos. 12 goals in 26 league games isn’t good enough, it cost us.

7 of those 12 came in easy games we won by at least 4 goals, and only 2 directly won us points (4). Yes, this is a very simplistic summary but I think we need someone who will score more goals domestically. The constant jeering clearly gets to Alfredo. Defoe got a fraction of the minutes and ended as our top goal scorer in the league.