Brazil 9/4

Argentina 7/2

England 5/1

Germany 5/1

Italy 6/1

France 9/1

Portugal 12/1

Ukraine 33/1

The teams I backed (Holland and Spain) are both out, so now im going to bet heavy on someone above before the quarters. The Germans seem to be jumping out at me at 5/1.

Who's everyone tipping?

Nah, I still don't fancy Germany to win the WC, they're pretty average at the back and a team like Argentina will put them out on their arse.

I backed Italy at the start and they're still in it so I'm sticking with them but would love to see the French winning it too.

they are 5/1 cause they are heavily backed in their own country. Giving them a longer price means if they were to win the bookies would take a hammering, so they are just covering their arse

every thing he said... they should have around the same odds as ukraine well bit higher

Yep, agree with the last two. Odds in the bookies are related to number of bets rather than real world chances of winning.

Supposing you were taking bets on the toss of a coin and 1000 people betted £1 on heads and only 100 better on tails.

If you had adjusted your odds to 11-1 on fror heads and 9-1 against for tails then you'll always make a profit no matter which comes up. The odds are skewed but there is still equal chance for each outcome. (It also shows how bookies make more money if the favourite loses).

So you reduce your payouts on the bigger bets by making their odds smaller and you encourage people to bet on the less popular by bringing up the odds and therefore cover your payouts if the favourite wins.

The trick is to adjust the odds as bets are placed to keep this relationship going between the bets so you always win. However bookies can get caught out if a lot of big bets are put on before they have a chance to reduce the odds and then have to pay out.

You don't get many poor bookies.

This is also why you can't expect your mate to give you the same odds as the bookies.

Guest grovecot

Thanks for the insight into bookmaking guys; I've only placed 2 or 3 bets in my life and lost them all.

I'd started the tournament being pretty happy for England to do well but now hope Portugal hump them. They've showed so little creativity or drive and (apart from Ukraine) must have contributed least to the competition of those left in it.