[FT] Benfica 3 - 3 Rangers (Goncalves 24og; Kamara 25; Morelos 51)

One thing I thought of at the time and it has been eating away at me since - I thought you were only allowed to make 3 changes, which can be for up to 5 subs. i.e. you have to put subs on in pairs as you can only stop the game 3 times. Benfica made 5 subs, with 4 interruptions to play. I thought at the time they were bringing on their last sub that they were not allowed to bring him on. Can anyone clarify one way or the other on this? I'm not going down the tims route of emailing UEFA demanding they award us the game, I ask just out of curiosity!

Good point Tannochsidebear , however Im pretty sure the half time subs dont count in the total number of changes , the same if the game goes into extra time and substitutions are made in the break .

1 hour ago, rbr said:

Good point Tannochsidebear , however Im pretty sure the half time subs dont count in the total number of changes , the same if the game goes into extra time and substitutions are made in the break .

This is correct - half time is not determined to be an interruption in play for the purposes of making substitutions.

Noted in the highlights that Pizzi has scored 30odd goals last season for Benfica, yet their manager withdrew him from the line-up and replaced him with a defender after the sending off. I wonder how many Lisbon fans shaked their heads in disbelief? He will sure be a man to watch in the "replay".