Alfredo Morelos

13 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Our first goal on Sunday against Ross County, scored by Roofe, highlights the new role played by Morelos. He came deep, dragging the County centre back with him, Davis plays the ball inside the left back and Tavenier hits the bye-line. The resulting cross sees Roofe get across the other centre back to the near post first. If Morelos had not came deep, his following centre half would have blocked Tav's cross ball.

This isn’t Morelos-specific though. It is a team tactic and every forward has been coached to do the same thing. I’ve seen people mention Morelos’s role in the first goal countless times since Sunday but nobody seems to have noticed that Roofe did the exact same thing for the third goal. If anything, Roofe’s role in that goal was more impressive because he dragged his defender out of position off the ball, and I am sure he knew exactly what he was doing, saw Tavernier’s run, and didn’t expect for one second to receive the ball but made that run back inside anyway as if he was expecting to receive it. 

Edited by DMAA

15 minutes ago, craig said:

Couldnt agree more.

LIstening to Boyd and Foster at the weekend was so infuriating, talking as if Morelos was out of form.

Agreed. Ally is prone to do it as well. I do feel that there's an element of jealousy involved.

Just now, DMAA said:

He’s just giving his honest opinion and I agree with him. 

Ally never misses an opportunity to take a pop at Morelos when there's other players who have performed worse....a bit like yourself.  :D

Being serious, Morelos is the "big" name in the team and does provoke more reaction from fans and pundits alike and that could be reason that he tends to concentrate on Morelos more than others but there still does appear to be a hint of jealousy about it.

Perhaps that's also why his movement works so well. He gets more attention than other players would and therefore his movement creates a bigger reaction than another player playing the same role would.

And it doesn’t suit the narrative but it simply isn’t true that he just isn’t get many chances this season. He has had more/better chances than anyone else in the league this season, he just isn’t scoring them. Compare that to Roofe who is scoring way more than he should given the number/quality of the chances he is getting. 

Edited by DMAA

30 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Ally never misses an opportunity to take a pop at Morelos when there's other players who have performed worse....a bit like yourself.  :D

Being serious, Morelos is the "big" name in the team and does provoke more reaction from fans and pundits alike and that could be reason that he tends to concentrate on Morelos more than others but there still does appear to be a hint of jealousy about it.

Perhaps that's also why his movement works so well. He gets more attention than other players would and therefore his movement creates a bigger reaction than another player playing the same role would.

The honest reason it gets a reaction out of me sometimes is just that what I see on the pitch doesn’t match the level of praise I see, i.e. I believe he is being overrated (same happens with Kent). If it wasn’t for this, I wouldn’t be reacting the same way. I know that it can go too far the other way because that’s human nature. It could be a similar thing with Ally. 
But, I praised him very highly after his away performance in Lisbon where he just raised his game beyond recognition (on this season’s form). 

Edited by DMAA

I think it is good that we are not as reliant on Morelos for goals and that he does good work in drawing defenders out thus allowing space for others. An issue for me with Morelos is that his layoff play is a bit inconsistent, excellent on some occasions and poor in others.  I also feel that he has a tendency to wait on the ball coming to him rather than stepping forward to take the ball earlier.  A final observation is that this this year he does not seem to be rag dolling defenders the way he did last season but this may be due to the change in how he is playing within our system or that defenders have become wise to that tactic.  It would be useful to see his running stats for this year and a heat map of his on-field position.